Tonight's Dinner will be...

Doc Holliday

I found a selection of what I think are St. George's Mushrooms. I'm not able to post a pic but I've been checking out websites and it would seem that's wha they are. Spore prints are slowly starting to emerge and they are looking white/pale.

Needless to say that Mrs H won't be joining me in chowing down on them as she thinks I'm out to bump her off and claim the insurance whenever I go foraging.

Anyone else tried these? They do smell very mealy and it's meant to diminish with cooking. I'm just hoping they don't make me bad and I don't think I could put up with one of Mrs H's lectures on the perils of not knowing what you are eating.

I found a selection of what I think are St. George's Mushrooms. I'm not able to post a pic but I've been checking out websites and it would seem that's wha they are. Spore prints are slowly starting to emerge and they are looking white/pale.

Needless to say that Mrs H won't be joining me in chowing down on them as she thinks I'm out to bump her off and claim the insurance whenever I go foraging.

Anyone else tried these? They do smell very mealy and it's meant to diminish with cooking. I'm just hoping they don't make me bad and I don't think I could put up with one of Mrs H's lectures on the perils of not knowing what you are eating.

These are a few that Hendersons gave me at the weekend. They were chuffing gorgeous. They seem to have a higher dry matter content than other field mushrooms, they are really meaty in texture. I'm going to try and find some myself :good:

post-28393-0-28141000-1337372127.jpg

That looks like 'em. I decided to wait until I could confirm the spore print so I'll be cooking them up tonight. I may take UK Poacher's advice and fry them up with cubetti pancetta that's been looking at me longly from the fridge.

I can't wait for the Autumn as I've a got a few spots where ceps grow. Now they really are good eating. Sliced up and gently fried in butter or cold pressed rape seed oil (it's milder than Extra virgin olive oil) with a little garlic :drool: I kid you not, one was as big as a kiddies small football.

I call it a Puff burger (done with Puffballs in the style of a burger)

I used to have no end of puff balls but now thanks to HFW the field that used to yield puff balls the size of foot balls is picked clean before they even make it fist size. I used to dip them in beaten egg and bread crumbs and fry them in butter/oil. They were boss!

Keep your eyes open for parasol mushrooms in hedgerows a bit later on in the year. They can be huge, easily 9" across, and have a buff flaky top and brown gills. They are little known, but exceptionally delicious mushrooms. I gave some to one of our beaters last year, a guy who is known for his love of mushrooms and he later said that they were the bst he'd ever tasted. He had been kicking them over for forty years. :lol:

They are very absorbant though. Don't wash them and give them plenty of oil.

Parasol-mushroom-BC.jpg

Keep your eyes open for parasol mushrooms in hedgerows a bit later on in the year. They can be huge, easily 9" across, and have a buff flaky top and brown gills. They are little known, but exceptionally delicious mushrooms. I gave some to one of our beaters last year, a guy who is known for his love of mushrooms and he later said that they were the bst he'd ever tasted. He had been kicking them over for forty years. :lol:

Parasol-mushroom-BC.jpg

Also, some people can be sensitive to them (i.e you'll get a bad tum) so try a little bit to start off with.

If you can find them when they haven't opened (and are still drumsticks) they really are something special if stuffed.

Parasol-mushroom-BC.jpg

One of my faves. I've been picking this field since I was a nipper.

post-28393-0-23907700-1337537290.jpg

St. George's mushrooms are the only ones at this time of year that are completely white - stem, gills and cap. They also smell like freshly milled flour. As Ack-Ack says they taste gorgeous, and go lovely with bacon.

Go lovely in the bin can't stand the things

Well, I had them on Saturday evening and have lived to tell the tale with no ill effects, I'm happy to say. I ended up making a mushroom stroganoff with BBQ'd pork shoulder. It went down very well. Even Mrs H had some and complemented me on it. As it turns out she actually thought they were regular field mushrooms I found out this morning. The look she gave me when I told her they weren't. Perhaps I should have just kept my mouth shut. Still, very nice and they've made it on to my list.

Next one to conquer will be the shaggy parasol. I'm generally a bit wary as it looks very similar to the false parasol which, although not poisonous, can give you a very upset stomach. I'll have to make time to study it this autumn.