Prone Target shooting

lxtav

Went 22 prone target shooting at a local club for the first time last night and enjoyed it. I managed to get all the shots within the target and grouped together (about a 3/4 to 1 inch group) in the same part of the target. Probably not all that great but considering I was using a rifle set up for someone else that I felt uncomfortable holding as the sling was a bit short (I have long forearms like an orangutan as my wife so kindly says although I don't have ginger hair)and I felt very cramped holding the rifle I was quite pleased with it as a first go. Going back next week and will now have to try and improve and hopefully get one in the centre.

Its an odd sport, you'll certainly find some 'characters' at .22 ranges. I shot it for a few years and after all that time I could still only average 92, the best I ever shot was a fluke 98 with someone else's rifle!

It takes ages to get comfortable, the combination of jacket, glove, sling, rifle, position, what you had to eat, where you pick your ammunition up from etc.. Ohh and breathing and shot release too. Its a science, and with practice you will really see an improvement. Best of luck with it.

:good:

Excuse my ignorance to this type of shooting but what's the object? To hit all ten in the bull?

Looks like nice simple fun that could be done in the garden with a 22 airgun.

Regards,

Gixer

It is with diopter sights, if it was telescopic it really wouldn't be a challenge.

Did this a lot, about 30 years ago. I've been thinking about giving it a go again. It was very challenging and frustrating but the very rare 99 or ton made it rewarding and addictive. Not a spectator sport though :lol:

Gixer if you can hit a bull the size of an aspirin 10 times out of ten at 25m, with iron sights and no rest or bipod "for a bit of fun in the garden", our Olympic rifle team will be giving you a call!

Huh - Huh

We sometime get dad come to the range with litle tommy who is a real hotshot and really gives the local cats hell/and the guy that's been in he ARMY and has taken the taliban sniper out at a thousand yards ECT.

Some have a hard job to even get the round on the card and it's a real hoot should they get one on the black.

prone shooting is a real art that takes time and persistance to build up the muscle groups and to master the mental side of it.

They're some pretty good cards PB

I, like many others of my generation, cut my shooting teeth laying on a damp and dusty mat shooting the club rifle in the 1960's, usually a BSA 12/15 single shot martini action with aperture sights. These were ALWAYS shot prone with no rest, just a sling for support. With plenty of practice they are capable of really excellent accuracy, even shooting outdoors at 50 and 100 yds with iron sight and only a sling. I really dont do much better now with a bipod and scope.

I kept up the prone .22 for a good few years also shooting prone fullbore matches, .303 then 7.62mm still with iron sights and a sling out to 1000yds. In the 1970's I discovered pistols and found they needed even more practice to shoot well (NSRA style, one handed iron sights) - After that - Well, there's a whole new world opens up. Duelling, combat, skittles, long range, black powder etc. etc.

I also recall a few Army "Marksman" being thrilled to get all ten shots in the black but being a bit disheartened when we explained that a score 62 wouldn't even get you a position as reserve in the D team.

Here's a couple of the elusive "possibles". I guess there can't be many who can claim the double, both pistol and rifle.

th_rifle100.jpgth_scan0003.jpg

Did this a lot, about 30 years ago. I've been thinking about giving it a go again. It was very challenging and frustrating but the very rare 99 or ton made it rewarding and addictive. Not a spectator sport though :lol:

Gixer if you can hit a bull the size of an aspirin 10 times out of ten at 25m, with iron sights and no rest or bipod "for a bit of fun in the garden", our Olympic rifle team will be giving you a call!

Sorry - I think I put my point Over wrong or you misunderstood - I didn't know it was irons...still looks fun.

Regards,

Gixer

Edited by gixer1

When I was young this is how I learnt to shoot and was not entrusted with a tele sight untill I was old enough to get my own lol. I am looking to put irons on the air gun for close barn work as target acquisition is lots easier and you can shoot with both eyes open.