Varmint barrel vs. standard barrel

finreid

Can't comment on the hmr but I do have a varmint barrelled .22lr I've also shot various other standard barrelled .22lr's and I prefere my varmint it's not really that heavy, if I'd not used a standard barrel first I doubt I'd know the difference. All my shooting is done on foot so I tend to travel light but if I was going to get a hmr I'd still opt for a varmint.

Id see if you can hold them side by side to see which feels right. :good:

Edited by bicykillgaz

10 ounces is quite a bit on a light light rifle. Is there any need to put any lead in the butt to balance it up? Or are the varmint rifles already compensated with extra weight?

I find mine well balanced until you stick the bipod on then it's front heavy I normally shoot off either sticks or bipod so even with the bipod it's no issue

Not 17, but I tried a .22 452 with the 16" normal barrel, but changed to the varmint barreled version. Yes it is a bit heavier..but it makes the rifle much more steady on hold and I find it nicely balanced :good:

To the op, the thread for the mod is exactly the same. I have a sak on the .22 and find it works very well and visually looks right.

I'm a big fan of CF varminters, (just ordered a Ruger77 VT in .308) but in rimfires heavy barrels are to my mind purely a styling exercise. I can't see that an HMR produces enough heat or harmonic oscillation for a heavy barrel to provide any benefit. (A .22lr certainly doesn't). If a varminter HMR feels right to you buy one because you like it, but don't expect the slightest difference in accuracy over a standard barrel. Choose mods with care. A heavy mod on a varminter might tip the weight balance beyond the point of what is acceptable.

CZ list...

Varmint 3.2kg

American 2.8kg

Silhouette 2.7kg

The Varmint is heavy, if you like heavy barrels then fine, there is no advantage in a heavy barrel for general field use, simply personal preference.

None of my rifles have heavy barrels, including all my CF, I see no need to carry around unnecessary extra weight!

CZ list...

Varmint 3.2kg

American 2.8kg

Silhouette 2.7kg

The Varmint is heavy, if you like heavy barrels then fine, there is no advantage in a heavy barrel for general field use, simply personal preference.

None of my rifles have heavy barrels, including all my CF, I see no need to carry around unnecessary extra weight!

Very happy with my .222 varminter in the field. Its a joy to shoot and the weight of the barrel does seem to reduce pulse and breathing movement.

I hope I'll love the Ruger as well. Only possible issue with a 26" heavy barrel might be clambering into high seats. Could be a few Laurel and Hardy moments.

Anyway, back to the thread..