landrover wont rev

darren m

engine wont rev

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

hello chaps - i need a little help and advice if you would please.

i,ve got a disco 1 1996 , usually runs A OK , but as been a little slow just lately.

anyway this morning every time i,ve tried to start her up she cuts out straight away ie wont rev and plenty of smoke coming out the back .

ticks over vaguely but thats all.

any ideas what it could be , fuel and glow plugs are all ok

thanks

Check fuel pump,run it switch it off unscrew fuel filter and see if its full if not could be dodgy pump,check fuel lines,i think these can perish on the rear,then check intercooler pipes if it wont rev,might have no boost,if the pipes are perished

Check fuel pump,run it switch it off unscrew fuel filter and see if its full if not could be dodgy pump,check fuel lines,i think these can perish on the rear,then check intercooler pipes if it wont rev,might have no boost,if the pipes are perished

fuel coming through ok

can explain intercooler pipes please , been looking around it all afternoon and what i did notice was one of the pipes ( top one ) coming out of the intercooler crushes up when engine is trying to rev then it smokes like hell and cuts out

thanks

Take off the one that collapses, If it runs ok then there must be a blockage before that.

Id take off the intercooler and pressure wash it out.

Iv known the turbo seals go and fill intercoolers with engine oil but you would have known if it was engine oil in there, they can "run away" Its not pretty :oops:

Take off the one that collapses, If it runs ok then there must be a blockage before that.

Iv known the turbo seals go and fill intercoolers with engine oil but you would have known if it was engine oil in there, they can "run away" Its not pretty :oops:

would that work?

if the maf thinks a set amount of air is going in and you disconnect that hose it wont read true.... i dont know how that ecu would handle that...

cheers just tried it - and it started and reved , bit smokey but running.

so what does that mean , i,m confused now.

is the intercooler hollow then ( got no idea )

cheers

cheers just tried it - and it started and reved , bit smokey but running.

so what does that mean , i,m confused now.

is the intercooler hollow then ( got no idea )

cheers

Engines run better with cooler air because its more dense, so cooler air contains more oxygen.

The intercooler is like a radiator for the induction charge.

Air goes through it into your engine,cooling air passes over it like it does your coolant radiator and takes heat from the induction air.

Id take it off and try and unblock it, they get a build up of black gunge that over time restricts flow.

Failing that a good second hand one is needed.

MattW, its not ideal to run one without connected but as its blocked its better than trying with it on, I know people who have put 300 and 200s in Series landies with out intercoolers and sometimes without turbos fitted :hmm: and they run right as rain just way down on power.

Daveo - that looks a bit worrying mate , inside the top pipe ive taken off it is very oily and that pipe inturn goes to what i think is a manifold above the turbo on a 300tdi.

what do you suggest ?

can it be run with out intercooler attached ?

cheers all

Daveo - that looks a bit worrying mate , inside the top pipe ive taken off it is very oily and that pipe inturn goes to what i think is a manifold above the turbo on a 300tdi.

what do you suggest ?

can it be run with out intercooler attached ?

cheers all

Take the intercooler off and wash it out ,it will have a bit of oil in it nothing to worry about,i dont thing it will run very well disconnected,will definatly be flat may smoke so you possibly have to adjust the pump

ps . what would you use to clean out a blocked intercooler , any solvent etc

thanks again

something like parafin or gunk make sure its clean,if you use gunk and wash it out with water make sure its properly dry before you put it on,i wouldnt use petrol or thinners unless you can leave it off for a couple of days for the fumes to evaporate

MAF on a early disco :blink:

Id change the fuel filter/air filter and check the sedimenter and if its not that then lift pump.

Have you been running it on veg oil?

Its a blocked intercooler :yes:

Darren, As above any solvent and a pressure washer :good:

thanks Dave

i,m going to order a set of pipes from rimmer bros or paddocks i think .

but if i am to clean out the intercooler , what would i use ( soapy water/ gunk , dont fancy petrol ) and can it be done in place.

thanks again

ps. plus a egr blanking plate.

the little pipe that goes onto the egr -- whats it for and what do you do with it once you,ve blanked off the egr

thanks

The pipe your on about allows exhaust gasses back into the inlet manifold when the engine is hot, its an odd way of reducing emmissions, Exhaust gas re-circulation :good:

I got a kit off bay that had a new pipe with out the EGR bit on.

I just changed the top intercooler hose and blanked the valve off, made no difference to performance :blush:

don't buy a decat pipe either, a defender one without the flexi does fit, just!

paid £18 for mine :good:

orderd the pipes and blanking plate today.

gonna take the intercooler out tonight. think i,ll use a couple of bottles white spirits to clean it through.then soapy water.that sound ok

ALSO

the little pipe that goes onto the egr , the very thing black one , it goes to a little unit at the front wing near where the jack sits -- whats it for and what do you do with it once you,ve blanked off the egr , 3 pipes coming off it 1 to egr , 1 to air filter box , 1 to brake servo

thanks

just to add to the above that it could be a restriction caused by your air filter as well or simply a pipe that has become too flexible due to age. The intercooler pipe that is collapsing should be pretty rigid to resist the reduced pressure inside it. With regard to blocked intercoolers I hear it said so often but when you get yours out and see how well water sloshes through it its very surprising if they could block effectively.