landrover wont rev

darren m

As all4x says; could also be due to a collapsing hose from the turbo or intercooler. Turbo/intercooler hoses can withstand a lot of pressure before they collapse, but when these het older they can delaminate and collapse preventing the engine to breath properly.

this is a run away, burning engine oil instead of diesel :oops: iv seen this happen first hand :no:

Only option is to get the truck into a high gear, stand on the brakes and let the clutch out to stall it. Trouble is in the heat of the moment many don't think to do it. That'll be an expensive fix.... :oops:

When cleaning the intercooler, do a thorough check of all the intake system, as already said it can be a collapsed hose, where the lining comes apart inside while looking fine on the outside. The intercooler does sound like it needs cleaning, but do a full check of it all while your at it, including the air filter.

this is a run away, burning engine oil instead of diesel :oops: iv seen this happen first hand :no:

Only option is to get the truck into a high gear, stand on the brakes and let the clutch out to stall it. Trouble is in the heat of the moment many don't think to do it. That'll be an expensive fix.... :oops:

Stalling it is indeed the only way forward, and yes people don't always think of that in a situation, but the worst case is when it's an automatic! Then it becomes a simple matter of get out and get clear!

Mate had a Disco and he picked me up to go shooting - hadn't got far and it wouldn't rev - loads black smoke out back - we got to shoot and called breakdown - seems day before it was serviced at dealer and mechanic forgot to tighten up turbo pipe clip - more boost more pressure and pipe kept coming away - back off and it went back on so worked for a second then back to pipe off -

Might be just that simple.

Dave

how long after cleaning the intercooler out with white spirits , should i leave it for .

its been in the sun and was hoping it would evporate by now.

maybe i should of washed it through with water as well.

any ideas

cheers

Have you tied blocking one end and pressurising it slightly to make sur its not leaking, and did the spirit run freely through to see as its not blocked,if its been in the sun nothing running out and it looks dry should be ok to go on,its not like petrol or thinners so should be fine

If its only abit better there must be something else.

Start at the begining. replace the air filter, check all intercooler pipes does it whistle?

Thats a sign an intercooler pipe is leaking.

The turbo could be defective, could you see the impellor? did it look ok?

Did you check end float in the shaft? there will be some movement if its done some mileage.

Failing that it could be the injector pump or injectors.

Failing that it could be something mechanical like worn rings.

its back to a weak pipe or blocked air filter, take the air filter out make sure the housing is absolutely clean and try it then. If it still does it check the pipes from there to the intercooler and to the turbo. If you can feel one collapsing then take it off and see if that cures it. If so replace, otherwise its something else but if it was running better with a hose disconnected from the intercooler then thats where to start.

Mass air flow meter sounds like it may be clogged up or needs replacing. I think you can disconnect it and try restarting without it.

As above mate. Had the same thing happen to my Freelander. Got overtaken by an artic off a round a bout it was so bad.

disconnected the mass air flow meter, and i went like greased lightning (with tactical smoke screen coming from the exhaust :blush: )

Got a new one off fleabay, been no problem ever since.

:good:

What you need to do to cure it is swap it for my Yota that's in sales :yes: Toyota has no problem with power at all, makes Disco's seem as if they're powered by a rubber band. I don't mind sorting the Disco.

See how good I am to you, solve all your problems in one go :yes:

:):)

disco ones dont have a mass airflow meter,

check for air getting into the fuel lines,

the tank sender/pickup, is known to rust and let air in,

try bleeding the filter, then drive it, if better take the round plate up in the boot, its under there,

failing that is the sedimenter full of ****? drop it off and clean it,

disco ones dont have a mass airflow meter,

check for air getting into the fuel lines,

the tank sender/pickup, is known to rust and let air in,

try bleeding the filter, then drive it, if better take the round plate up in the boot, its under there,

failing that is the sedimenter full of ****? drop it off and clean it,

disco ones dont have a mass airflow meter ,

mine does , if not whats that box of tricks with a heat shield bolted on after my airfilter box but before the turbo.

i,m confused now