1st Rifle

TCarn

I have just applied for my first fac so I have the long wait for it to be granted and the bunny's have a bit of a reprieve as they are getting a bit wise to the air rifle.

This gives me plenty of time to make sure I get the right rifle for the job, I have applied for both .22lr and .17hmr both with mods.

I have been reading the masses of info on this forum to try to decide which to buy.

The land I have to shoot over is fairly flat and open grassland,I have worked out several firing points that will allow me to keep the targets between 50 and 100yds; it would seem that this would be exactly right for a .22lr. However I do have a concern regarding the possible maximum range of the .22 when allied with a ricochet.

I am now leaning towards an hmr as it seems the danger of an errant round is minimised.

I am looking at the CZ 452 Varmint 16" rifles with a Sak mod and utilising my current 4x16x56 scope. Also trying to decide on normal stock or thumbhole, is there any advantage to thumbhole or is it just personal preference and appearance?

I would value input as to which way I should go as to calibre and style.

Thanks

IAm sure you know the befifits of both cals, plus one simple difference one,s noisy and one aint. There will be times when the benifits of one out weigh tbe other, regarding bouncing bullets, yes the 22 will bounce more often, how far will it go ??? just check whats behind the target,as all should as a matter of course.

Provided the land isn't stony or baked really hard, a .22lr is mostly safe, within reason. Shoot anything at a very gentle angle and it could ricochet, just more so with a .22.

As the the stock type, it's really just a matter of preference, see which you like best.

If you can see your shots often being at the 100 yard range, or perhaps more, then get a .17HMR, the .22 is really at it's practical limit at 100.

Personally unless it's unsafe my choice would tend to be a .22 for moderate distances, as you are planning to shoot at, as it's quiet and ammo is very cheap, but the .17 is a great tool as well. Can you buy both? If you aren't fussy, an accurate .22 can be picked up very cheaply, well worth having one available as it's a fantastic round for many applications.

I have just applied for my first fac so I have the long wait for it to be granted and the bunny's have a bit of a reprieve as they are getting a bit wise to the air rifle.

This gives me plenty of time to make sure I get the right rifle for the job, I have applied for both .22lr and .17hmr both with mods.

I have been reading the masses of info on this forum to try to decide which to buy.

The land I have to shoot over is fairly flat and open grassland,I have worked out several firing points that will allow me to keep the targets between 50 and 100yds; it would seem that this would be exactly right for a .22lr. However I do have a concern regarding the possible maximum range of the .22 when allied with a ricochet.

I am now leaning towards an hmr as it seems the danger of an errant round is minimised.

I am looking at the CZ 452 Varmint 16" rifles with a Sak mod and utilising my current 4x16x56 scope. Also trying to decide on normal stock or thumbhole, is there any advantage to thumbhole or is it just personal preference and appearance?

I would value input as to which way I should go as to calibre and style.

Thanks

As the HMR carries with it twice the energy the fact that it fires a lighter more frangible bullet is somewhat a mute point. what i have found from personal experiance is when the .22 ricochets it makes a terrible screaming noise (due to the deformed lump of lead spinning erratically) the HMR much less so and this means many think it does not actually ricochet- it does as do all firearms, you must manage that risk via the shots you take.

As for gun choice the above is a fine choice- be aware that SAK mods sometimes spit very small amounts of hot powder out the rear (this can be noted on objectives coutings after much use)and thunbhole stocks impinge on correct and rapid bolt operation ( the bolt is lifted with the forefinger and flipped back and returned by the thumb, which in the case of a thumbhole stock cannot simply be rotated to exept it) this means the hand is generaly removed and a spinch grip used on the actual bolt knob (this is a far slower manover and harder to keep the rifle in the shoulder on aim)

I'd go HMR for 100 yard shots. The .22lr is really pushed at that range. Also, why a varmint? The standard sporter is much nicer to carry and doesn't overheat unless you go crazy at targets. Sak mod is good enough in my experience and cheap too.

Like Kent, I prefer the standard stock.

I'd go HMR for 100 yard shots. The .22lr is really pushed at that range. Also, why a varmint? The standard sporter is much nicer to carry and doesn't overheat unless you go crazy at targets. Sak mod is good enough in my experience and cheap too.

Like Kent, I prefer the standard stock.

Actually the short CZ varmint is a very handy gun, by no means heavy. Compared to an average C/F sporter barreled gun its still a lightweight. Heat up is a non-issue with all the rimfires but i do feel the extra rigidity of a short stiff barrel produces marginally better accuraccy through flatter harmonics (not that is worth much in the field on bunnies etc)

Thanks for all the replies,

I will definitely be going for a CZ 16" Varmint, with standard stock. I have not yet fully decided on the calibre, but I am leaning towards the hmr as I feel the majority of shots will be taken at longer range, closest will be around 50-60yds, and the better trajectory of the hmr has to be an advantage. It would be good to have a very quiet gun but I think the accuracy is paramount and although the hmr is noisier it can't be that loud as many here seems to rate it very highly as a bunny basher.

As regards the ricochet problem I think I would be happier with the hmr as if it were to occur the lighter more frangible bullet breaking into smaller parts would carry far less energy and travel less far and therefore offer less danger.

Shooting clays was so much easier, far less to think about :)

Thanks for all the replies,

I will definitely be going for a CZ 16" Varmint, with standard stock. I have not yet fully decided on the calibre, but I am leaning towards the hmr as I feel the majority of shots will be taken at longer range, closest will be around 50-60yds, and the better trajectory of the hmr has to be an advantage. It would be good to have a very quiet gun but I think the accuracy is paramount and although the hmr is noisier it can't be that loud as many here seems to rate it very highly as a bunny basher.

As regards the ricochet problem I think I would be happier with the hmr as if it were to occur the lighter more frangible bullet breaking into smaller parts would carry far less energy and travel less far and therefore offer less danger.

Shooting clays was so much easier, far less to think about :)

In theory, in practice you can allow it nothing. I personally found that the HMR was very prone to bad deflections without breaking up on sedge grass clumps i cant ever remember the .22 being an issue with this stuff. On harder ground and a solid strike i think the theory might be correct that you put forwards, however it has twice the energy to loose and potential to go much further so no quarter can realy be given. Now if it were going even faster like a .17 remington or the new .17 hornet we are starting to get somewere, remember the backstop hazard might lie out at 200 yds or more and it aint going all that fast then as the bullet will slow considerably and bullets are hence far less likely to break up. As regards trajectory yes its far easier to use than a .22 - the downside then is noise and cost

• 5 weeks later...

Update,

FEO visit on Monday, hopefully sold one of my Logun air rifles today, so looking in good shape to go very soon.

Decided to go for hmr, with fac air to deal with whatever the hmr cannot

Edited by TCarn

Well pleased, FEO visit done, all approved.

Now to find the best prices on .17 hmr 452 varmint and a .22 fac air.

I have been quoted £9.72p per 100 Hornady .17hmr 17grm VMax... asked them to check the price on 2 occassions, are they getting it wrong? other places are quoting £11.50 or £12 per 50.

Tom

• 3 weeks later...

Quick update...

I'm now the proud owner of a CZ 452 16" Varmint, I've had it for 6 days and haven't put a round through it... to much else to do before I can get to zero the scope. I cannot find a nearby range that will just let me pop in as it were.