Squeeking Disco

ratus

Hi all,

Hope some one can help, My Discovery 300TDI (97) has an annoying squeek comming from under the bonnet,the noise starts at around 30MPH and just gets noiser, soon as i let upon the accelerator the squeeking stops.

This is what i've done so far to try and resolve the noise,

1) I've changed the drive belt tensioner bearing,

2)the drive belt (7pk 1580 correct one),

3)water pump bearing seems ok,

4)Put a Penny behinde the drive belt tensioner.

5)Checked the AC/ belt.

Any suggestions / ideas would be grateful.

Thanks RATUS

Hard to be definitive, as I can't hear the noise. It might be one of the belts squeaking.

My wife's Nissan Note squealed for England. I read up on this and tried the belt dressing spray solution - sold at most car spares shops. Ran the engine - quick blast of dressing on the fan belt- still squeaked. Day after, when the spray had soaked in - result. Not a squeak since.

Other Note owners had changed belts, tensioners - all had the squeaky fault. Nissan have brought out a new type to cure it.

Hard to be definitive, as I can't hear the noise. It might be one of the belts squeaking.

My wife's Nissan Note squealed for England. I read up on this and tried the belt dressing spray solution - sold at most car spares shops. Ran the engine - quick blast of dressing on the fan belt- still squeaked. Day after, when the spray had soaked in - result. Not a squeak since.

Other Note owners had changed belts, tensioners - all had the squeaky fault. Nissan have brought out a new type to cure it.

Gordon R

been advised against belt dressing, but if its that or the next step, a replacement water pump. might see about that :hmm:

yes mate waterpump i reckon. my mate has the same vehicle and was making the same noise. spraying the belt stopped the noise breifly but then it would start again. i said it was probably the belt or the tensioner. a week later the waterpump failed cauing the belt to come off and he lost power steering etc. the water pump wasn't big money and was easy enough to change once we found some 30mm spanners to take the fan off!

yes mate waterpump i reckon. my mate has the same vehicle and was making the same noise. spraying the belt stopped the noise breifly but then it would start again. i said it was probably the belt or the tensioner. a week later the waterpump failed cauing the belt to come off and he lost power steering etc. the water pump wasn't big money and was easy enough to change once we found some 30mm spanners to take the fan off!

Aga Man,

Yer think thats me plan, cheers much appreciated.

Ratus

Hi all,

Hope some one can help, My Discovery 300TDI (97) has an annoying squeek comming from under the bonnet,the noise starts at around 30MPH and just gets noiser, soon as i let upon the accelerator the squeeking stops.

This is what i've done so far to try and resolve the noise,

1) I've changed the drive belt tensioner bearing,

2)the drive belt (7pk 1580 correct one),

3)water pump bearing seems ok,

4)Put a Penny behinde the drive belt tensioner.

5)Checked the AC/ belt.

Any suggestions / ideas would be grateful.

Thanks RATUS

Dont go over 30mph :good:

remove the belt, you can run for a few mins without it,

still got the noise?

300 tdi engines are fussy on belts, cheapo ones tend to squeal, you can clean the grooves in the pullys and a new belt fixes it, dont use a britpart belt, go for a gates one.

Daveo 26,

Sorry for late reply, new water pump fitted, still squeeking!!!! so removed the A/C belt to see if it was that bearing, still squeeking!! STUMPED!!

ratus

I had a squeak on my 300tdi defender and the tensioner roller had a lot of play so I changed the bearing today and the squeak is still there so started checking and found the the viscous coupling on the fan has disintegrated.

Martin

I had a squeak on my 300tdi defender and the tensioner roller had a lot of play so I changed the bearing today and the squeak is still there so started checking and found the the viscous coupling on the fan has disintegrated.

Martin

yer i tried it this morning without the viscous fan on and still the squeeling was there, thank you for info.

Ratus

Martin

My 300tdi squeaks like a squeaky thing. A squirt of wd40 into the back of the belt tensioner sorts it for a while.