Smoked peppers and chillies

henry d

Due to a glut of chillies I have smoked some for the first time :good:

Tried peppers in a chilli and found they up the heat and have a lovely smokey flavour, the smoked and dried have a nice smell to them and a lick of my fingers after caused some mild degree of discomfort and I could not see any chilli powder on them :devil:

If you have a smoker and a fan oven give it a whirl :yes:

Henry - if you smoke and then dry jalapenos, you can grind them down to make chipotle - Proper good!!

Split them before you smoke them so the smoke gets right inside (I'd also leave the seeds inside to give them a little heat) - Use a nice fruity wood in the smoker as well.

Have got a barbecue/smoker combi type thing, but have just acquired a dedicated smoker, so am going to start having some fun over the summer.

My chillies are the small dangerous ones I got from Mungler (poss. serenade) some time ago and I decided that I would leave them whole as they were all smaller than a thumbnail.

I also have another which is also small but thinner skinned so I will try to split and smoke them.

Yeah, hot smoked but at the lowest temperature possible. With peppers you get a lot of water flashing off as steam and that affects the smoke, that`s why I used small chillies and smoked them at the lowest gas flame possible (my smoker is a stove top smoker).

I cold smoked a few spare chillies last year for 2 days with oak saw-dust then 1 hour in low oven.

Used a coffee grinder to turn into flakes. Filled a few jars but now run out till this years crop is ready.

Its surprising just how many you need to fill a jar!

DSC00253.jpg

021.jpg