Rabbits

Schmoo

Hi I went out for a few rabbits this afternoon, between the rain and got my best bag to date with my new .22lr. I have only been out three times with it.

I have a question which I am hoping some of you may be able to answer for me: :unsure:

1. If I am nicely held up out of sight and in range of the rabbits and I shoot one, when do I go and retrieve it ?

I don't want to reveal my position as they seem to take a good half hour or so to start to come back up. I have also been told that the meat can spoil if they are left out for too long before ******* out or gutting.

And how the hell do the bloody blue and green bottles manage to find you and your quarry on a blustery rainy day slap bang in the middle of over a 1000 acres !!!! :lol: :lol: :mad:

Regards Schmoo.

Edited by Schmoo

if im sat up watching a bunnie set with me rimfire i tend to leave the shot rabbit till ive finished

All well and good in the winter and early spring, but if you've any intention of eating them you need to paunch them quickly at this time of year. If I'm lying in ambush overlooking a known spot, I will sometimes leave the first one or two to appear and perhaps shoot at the third or fourth. Sometimes the others will freeze or sit up to see what happened without legging it allowing you get off another shot or two before they decide to go to ground. I often sweep up twos and threes like this although it's more likely to happen with youngsters than older rabbits who are a bit more street wise. After they've gone to ground I wait about 5 minutes just in case any reappear then walk quietly forward, retrieve the slain and walk back to my lay up point, or somewhere else out of sight of the warren to quickly paunch them before returning to OP duties! In the winter I'll do as above and leave them all there, at least for 40min to an hour or so.

By the way Schmoo, the BRNO model two is lovely rifle. I sold one about 15 years ago and regret it. Whilst almost identical to the CZ 452s, I think the fit and finish was a little better on the older rifles. Look after it, never sell it and it'll outlive you :good:

with air rifle im always walking and stalking, and i paunch them asap, just makes it easier i find, although i dont carry them round the whole permission with me i just leave them at a landmark ( tuft of grass or simelar ) and pick them up on the way back, when its rite hot i wouldnt much fancy leaving them there unpaunched for long.