Nissan Terrano advice

Sprackles

Looking to buy one of these, W reg, 2000.

Generally good condition. Few rust spots and signs of wear but then it is 12 years old.

Main area of concern is the management light wont go off.

Seller tells me garage cant find problem as their equipment says the light isnt on.

Obviously I am unwilling to accept this at face value and would be looking for a price reduction to reflect this.

Have driven it and its nice.

Full leather, air con etc etc...

Wants £1750 but thinking more £1500....any quick advice, he has others looking.

Just spoken to a mate in the trade.

He said the engines are bombproof and if it keeps running ok have the light disabled as they pick up silly little items that wont affect the performance as well as the more serious ones.

If it was serious, the engine woulod not be running very well at all which is not the case.

Checked out the warning light failures you mentioned and got the following list up, engine management does not appear as yet,

* The new testable components subject to the 'bedding in' period are:

headlamp levelling and cleaning devices when fitted for HID or LED headlamps

main beam 'tell-tale'

battery - including batteries for electric or hybrid vehicles

electrical wiring connectors

trailer electrical socket security and damage

operation of 13-pin trailer electrical sockets

operation of the steering lock (where fitted)

electronic power steering malfunction warning indicating a fault

electronic parking brake control and malfunction indicator lamp

electronic stability control components including switch and malfunction warning

brake fluid warning lamp illuminated or inoperative

tyre pressure monitoring systems

secondary restraint system component including airbags, seat belt pre-tensioners, seat belt load limiters, and SRS malfunction warning lamp

engine mountings

speedometer

indirect vision devices - where they replace obligatory mirrors

I too would be a little concerned, the trouble is that it could be absolutely anything, major or minor.

I'm not sure what they're worth, but in good condition if it goes down to 1500 it would probably be a reasonable buy, but it's a gamble.

Seen the same reg but lower spec at a dealers for £2795.

Mate in the know said at £1500 its a good price and even a couple of hundred quid fix would make it a fair deal.

Just going to ring the owner now, see what he says.

I paid £1700 for a Y reg with 69000 miles FSH. good condition but needed some minor jobs like new exhaust anti roll bar bushes etc. Mine doesn't have leather though. I wouldnt be too worried about engine management light there is hardly any electronics on thing. Great truck though you wont be disappointed :good:

Edited by ferguson_tom

I had an 'S' 98 for 6 years, only needed a new battery and half exhaust in the time I had it. Part Ex'd it for Grand Cherokee as it had 110K on the clock - God I wished I kept it. Jeep was a pig and spent more time in the garage than on the road. The Toranno was a brilliant work horse, even pulled a stuck tractor and boat off the beach without any bother..

Looking to buy one of these, W reg, 2000.

Generally good condition. Few rust spots and signs of wear but then it is 12 years old.

Main area of concern is the management light wont go off.

Seller tells me garage cant find problem as their equipment says the light isnt on.

Obviously I am unwilling to accept this at face value and would be looking for a price reduction to reflect this.

Have driven it and its nice.

Full leather, air con etc etc...

Wants £1750 but thinking more £1500....any quick advice, he has others looking.

i've got a ford maverick (identical to terrano) that engine management light will probably be crank sensor fault and getting one of them will be difficult unless you go main dealer which will be about £350 ish.

car will still run but will run rich and at 25mpg anyway could get expensive.

Throttle pedal sensor is a known fault with symptoms of running rough when cold between 1500 and 2500 rpm, mine had a dodgy air mass sensor and I have changed a crank sensor on one before.

£1600 seems slightly steep unless it it is a low mileage minter, you get a lot for your money with a terrano :good:

Throttle pedal sensor is a known fault with symptoms of running rough when cold between 1500 and 2500 rpm, mine had a dodgy air mass sensor and I have changed a crank sensor on one before.

£1600 seems slightly steep unless it it is a low mileage minter, you get a lot for your money with a terrano :good:

Looking online and searching classified ads, its actually a good price for the model, SE+

If you go on the preloved site and search terrano, its the newest ad.

Edited by Sprackles

Looking online and searching classified ads, its actually a good price for the model, SE+

If you go on the preloved site and search terrano, its the newest ad.

Go for it, I love mine and it goes pretty much everywhere on our shoots and has cost very little apart from when the clutch exploded :o