.22 Rifle on FAC

Hello one and all,

I have just been looking over my FAC and my rifle slot just says

.22 Rifle 1

There is no mention of LR,WMR or anything else.

So my question clearly is do I need to apply for a variation to purchase anything other than an LR?.

The FAO was not much help on this and I can speak to the call centre but I thought I would ask the oppinion of more "experienced" individuals :good: .

I know I have seen this topic on here before but I have been searching and cant find it so apologies.

Thanks

You can indeed buy any '.22 rifle', be it .22 short, .22lr, .22WMR, .22 hornet (I think .22-250 would also be fine) and anything else you care to think of.

However, while technically you can buy anything you might upset your FEO/firearms department. If you asked for a .22lr on a first application your FEO could be rather miffed if you then buy a .22 centre-fire. If you want something significantly larger than what you applied for I'd speak to your FEO to check it's not going to upset him, but you can just buy one.

Here is a recent thread on it.

Edited by bedwards1966

As above.

Firearms departments, for some strange reason, authorise and issue slots for what you applied for on your application. You know what you applied for, you therefore know what the authority is for. Try and be clever and it will come back and haunt you.

Just as I thought, what I didn't understand is if the cert stated .22 then whether the grant was actually registered as just a .22 or if it would have been recorded as an application for a .22lr.

On my application I certainly remember writing .22lr and .22WMR seperately.

If its something that can be checked by the department before purchasing then its got to be worth a phone call hasn't it.

Thanks for your help :good:

also the FAC air is listed as .22 which is very strange. Not a problem until I found a great deal on a daystate .20 air ranger!. I find it a bit strange that the air is listed in caliber as well!. I guess its the whole firearms department education thing.

Back in the day when I was a lad lol. 22 meant just that you could buy any gun which fell into this category however these days ill will mean a .22 rim fire dont try and get clever with your local authority they will get very pd off with you if you could find a gun dealer to sell you a centre fire

As above.

Firearms departments, for some strange reason, authorise and issue slots for what you applied for on your application. You know what you applied for, you therefore know what the authority is for. Try and be clever and it will come back and haunt you.

Correct. If you apply for '1 .22 rifle' then how are you being 'clever' by acquiring a .22 rifle?

J.

Back in the day when I was a lad lol. 22 meant just that you could buy any gun which fell into this category however these days ill will mean a .22 rim fire dont try and get clever with your local authority they will get very pd off with you if you could find a gun dealer to sell you a centre fire

It means .22. It can't mean anything else because no one is expected to have to second guess the law. The RFD or FAC holder who sells you the gun cannot be expected to read minds. If you have a slot for a ,'.22 rifle' and you buy a .22 Hornet or .22 WMR then how can the seller be said to have done anything illegal? He hasn't and neither have you.

The thing you have to ask your self is 'If they say I am breaking the law then what do they charge me with?'. If you have a slot for a .22 rifle and you go out and get a .22 Hornet they can hardly charge you with unlawful possession/acquisition of the rifle because you have a certificate which allows you to acquire and possess it! 'Yes, your honour, I know it says .22 rifle but we only meant some .22 rifles and we expect everyone to know that, and which ones we meant, by telepathy'

J.

all i am saying is I have not heard of anyone applying for a rifle and putting in for a .22 rifle with the thought of buying anything from a .22 lr up to a .22-250!!!

Thats how I read your post fella, I too have never heard of the police being so vague, my force will only use a generic .22 calibre slot for centrefire.

i had same scenario i had x2 22 slots plus mods i bought a 22lr and other 1 was for night vision but thought id get a wmr big more kick found 1 and dealer was happy to sell me it.

But in chatting to rdf and he said id ring up just to check so i did and they point blank said no if you want WMR you must apply for WMR on variation gutted but hay ho

better than getting told off

i had same scenario i had x2 22 slots plus mods i bought a 22lr and other 1 was for night vision but thought id get a wmr big more kick found 1 and dealer was happy to sell me it.

But in chatting to rdf and he said id ring up just to check so i did and they point blank said no if you want WMR you must apply for WMR on variation gutted but hay ho

better than getting told off

True, but if they put .22 lr on the ticket instead of .22 rf it would stop any problems. After all, the .22 WMR is a .22 rimfire calibre.

Sorry been away.

.22 rifle is the ammo as well!. So that wouldn't be the limiting factor either.

When I had my interview I remember the fao advised they prefer lr on first grant but I had applied for wmr, lr and hornet. If I wasn't a sensible person I could land myself in a hot water. I do agree with previous posts that I could buy any .22 without feeling I was breaking the terms of license. The section at the bottom that lists restrictions also shows .22 rifle for vermin and target.

Have t now apply for a variation to switch the .22 air rifle for .20, got myself a daystate bargain.

Sorry been away.

.22 rifle is the ammo as well!. So that wouldn't be the limiting factor either.

When I had my interview I remember the fao advised they prefer lr on first grant but I had applied for wmr, lr and hornet. If I wasn't a sensible person I could land myself in a hot water. I do agree with previous posts that I could buy any .22 without feeling I was breaking the terms of license. The section at the bottom that lists restrictions also shows .22 rifle for vermin and target.

Have t now apply for a variation to switch the .22 air rifle for .20, got myself a daystate bargain.

Thats how I read your post fella, I too have never heard of the police being so vague, my force will only use a generic .22 calibre slot for centrefire.

They usually (or at least should) give you exactly what you applied for. If you apply for a '.22 rifle' then that is how your cert should be worded. My force does and I saw a newly issued FAC with that wording on only three days ago.

J.