pros shooting

digger

Yes, but people don't suddenly wake up one morning and become a "Pro" shooter, it takes a massive amount of time and effort, and a lot of sacrifices have to be made on the way.

The rewards, (and there aren't many in this country), only come after many years effort.

Why should a newcomer to the sport, who has put no effort thus far into his game, walk off with the money..??

Cat.

I'm away on my Hols in France, not taking the guns, but I am taking the Golf clubs..!!

Gone are the days when I will shoot 3 or 4 shoots in one day, it's simply not possible now because of the Muppets clogging up the M25/M1/M6, we got away with it back in the 80's but not now.

My most memorable day was back in '89, (I think), when I shot a 56 ex 60 at the Star GC in Chessington, then went onto the Sussex County Champs at Northall CPC, won that with an 89, Digweed shot an 88, went on to Copthorne near East Grinstead, won that with a 96 ex 100, then went back to the Star to go into a shoot off with Digweed and three others, knocked 2 out, only me & Diggie left, we shot off again on the Teal stand at a pair of simmo Midi's, unbelievably I killed all 5 pairs with one barrel, Diggie missed one of his first pair out, end of story.

I've never had a day quite like that since..!!

Cat.

Yes, but people don't suddenly wake up one morning and become a "Pro" shooter, it takes a massive amount of time and effort, and a lot of sacrifices have to be made on the way.

The rewards, (and there aren't many in this country), only come after many years effort.

Why should a newcomer to the sport, who has put no effort thus far into his game, walk off with the money..??

Cat.

Absolutely, I have never doubted the effort and skill required to get to that level. I am on about a local club pool shoot with someone showing up just when there is a compo on to take the money.

Just because someone has put in time and effort it doesn't mean they are entitled to take the money as some sort of reward, just my view.

I can only imagine the dedication and expenditure required to get to the level of Digweed et-al, and despite what people might infer from this discussion I don't begrudge them a penny - far from it.

I will never ever agree with someone like that showing up at a local club shoot just to take the money. Join the club and shoot there regular and take all the competition money you want as far as I am concerned.

More fool the club competition organisers in my view, as I have said if I was running a club competition I would limit it to members only to prevent this happening. Mr Digweed and others are famous enough to be spotted, but the likes of yourself cat, or tosspot who I belive to be a cracking shot too - I wouldn't know you from adam if you showed up so I can't think of any way to prevent "sharking" like this without doing as I say.

You can think what you like about me, disagree with me or whatever, this is just how I feel and nothing will change my mind :good:

For the record I would jump at the chance to shoot the same layout as a top level shooter, as long as it wasn't at my club without me knowing about it beforehand - you never know someone might have an offday and steal my B class 3rd prize off me and I would have to have a propper dummy-spitting toys out the cot hissy fit :good::no:

My most memorable day was back in '89, (I think), when I shot a 56 ex 60 at the Star GC in Chessington, then went onto the Sussex County Champs at Northall CPC, won that with an 89, Digweed shot an 88, went on to Copthorne near East Grinstead, won that with a 96 ex 100, then went back to the Star to go into a shoot off with Digweed and three others, knocked 2 out, only me & Diggie left, we shot off again on the Teal stand at a pair of simmo Midi's, unbelievably I killed all 5 pairs with one barrel, Diggie missed one of his first pair out, end of story.

Yeah I know what you are saying, that stuff happens to me all time.

Not :good:

Martin, it seems that all the grounds pretty well know who can and who cant shoot, so why don't they just load them accordingly?

If they are injured then hard cheese let the cheats suffer.

Or am I being biased, nope I'm not :no:

LB

:good::good:

when i shot back home, there were plenty of local farm type shoots, the every other sunday and wednesday night thing going on, i thought it was cool, the amount of interest is phenominal, there are nowhere near the amount of clubs here, the travel time between citys is measured in days or hours, not miles, this makes shooting the province quite expensive therefore reducing the amount of interest in juniors, other than if the old man is going, its a shame but there you have it, the same guys shoot all year round yes you get to know the sandbaggers, but guilt is not in their concience, they do it all the time, its a shame but there you have it right, no different than a pool hustler or card shark realy.

Alberta is the province i live in , you can fit the uk in 4 times, you see the difference in size. take a lunch or ten :no::no:

by the way Cat, do you know a guy called "Robert Caven"??? , scotish fella, shot for the uk in the commonwealth games here in 78, i shoot with him on occasion, not a bad sort ,,,,,for a jock that is :no::no:??? kidding fellas ,,,relax no invasion required. ???

Martin

Martin,

No, I've not had the pleasure of meeting Robert Caven, I've only represented England in English Sporting, which is not a truly "International" discipline, hence no chance of me ever making the Commonwealth Games.

The best Sporting shooter in Scotland currently is a guy called Willie Gordon, he won the British Open a couple of years ago, damn fine shot and a real nice guy.

Thanks for the offer of shooting in Canada, I won't take it up just yet because I know that I wouldn't ever want to come back to the UK..!!

Cat.

• 2 weeks later...
if you hold a shoot with prize money of more than 50 quid they will soon show up! they seem to be able to smell it on the breeze!

At our club, you have to have shot a round of sporting at least once a month, and be a member, if you want to win the pot (£100) at the pro sporting layout. I think this is a fair way to do it, as everyone gets to have a pop at it. My average score? well i can't seem to get past 22 ex 25. If you get 23, you win a free meal as it's also sponserd by a local pub! :good: