single 8 bore.

DerbyshireDale.

Hi all, still after a single 8 bore for this season, does anyone on this forum know of a "good one" up for grabs? could you let me know, prefer one thats been looked after and not a damaged one, purchased cheap in auction then done up by the "wheeler-Dealers". I know they fetch good money thats not a problem if its a good gun......the ones I've looked at so far have been....well...er... lets just say, I know the price of "SCRAP" has gone up but not by that much!!!!....if not I'll soldier on with the 3" 12 bore!

best wishes...Dale.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi all, still after a single 8 bore for this season, does anyone on this forum know of a "good one" up for grabs? could you let me know, prefer one thats been looked after and not a damaged one, purchased cheap in auction then done up by the "wheeler-Dealers". I know they fetch good money thats not a problem if its a good gun......the ones I've looked at so far have been....well...er... lets just say, I know the price of "SCRAP" has gone up but not by that much!!!!....if not I'll soldier on with the 3" 12 bore!

best wishes...Dale.

You should have had mine when i offered it you for silly money !!!!!!!!!!

Can i ask what sorta range you can get out of an 8? :good:

8 Bore loads are a slow long range round, with big pay loads of shot maintained at longer distances, they take a while to get the hang

of but when you do they can be deadly in the right hands, i still would not shoot at geese sky high because its to expensive in non toxic

shot, but its nice to have a crack with a old English gun, Sadly ive sold mine!

rgds Bob.

Most eights are patterned at 60 yards.

A modern Ten Bore with Hevi shot with far out shoot an old Eight Bore but it is not about the extra range it is about owning and using a little bit of history :good:

Anyway, you do not want to be messing about with a single, you want a double :D

5050119273_28e352d513_z.jpg

You should have had mine when i offered it you for silly money !!!!!!!!!!

I'm thinking thats going to "haunt me" for a long time Bob but no good keep thinking about it, it only makes me feel worse...by the way that new Die for the cards I made you I've just smashed up out of Temper!!...for reminding me!!...I'll make you another when I've calmed down a bit. Seriously though I thought I might get some more info on this site as most are Fowlers and after the chap wanting a "Lewis 3" 12g"...got offered one straight away thought it would be best asking on this forum.

see you later pal.....Dale.

Most eights are patterned at 60 yards.

A modern Ten Bore with Hevi shot with far out shoot an old Eight Bore but it is not about the extra range it is about owning and using a little bit of history :good:

Anyway, you do not want to be messing about with a single, you want a double :D

5050119273_28e352d513_z.jpg

Yes youre quite right about the history comment and also the nostalgia, had the chance of a nice Double let it pass but could kick myself now!...never mind I'll find something..(Patience is a virtue) as they say!!

best wishes...Dale.

Aye, but my double eight is a thing of beauty, whereas that double four is a hideous lump :lol: .

(Seriously though what is that stock all about ? :look: )

totaly agree, i dont know what its all about, it must be for ballance. either that or it was built for a giant because i cant get my hand around the grip :lol: the watson brothers ones in the link look a bit more refined :yes:

why mess around with a double 8, go the whole hog and get a double four,

watson brothers are still making them, only £49000.

post-29954-0-88251800-1340833787.jpg

Looks a right handfull!...pal of mine has a nice single 4....but at £49000 out of my price range did'nt pay that much for the house I live in!!.....if I was offered the gun for £9000 I would'nt buy it.....as you get older you aquire more sense not guns....then again if I was filthy rich and never knew what earning a living meant, I'd probably have one until I got bored like most "spoilt Kids" do, then I'd buy another fast car or boat / motorbike and later something else!!

cheers...Dale.

its not as bad as you would think, the recoil isnt bad its just a big push so getting on to another bird is ok. the thing you have to keep in mind is if caught off balance and you start going back over just keep going rather than fight it cause you wont win :lol: