single 8 bore.

DerbyshireDale.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i remember one outing with my friends four bore, i was sitting on the edge of a ditch that the cattle had trodden into a mire and i spotted a single goose heading towards me a bit out to the side but still in range and without giving it enough thought i fired and found myself going back over. i glanced behind me as i started going back and noticed the dog sitting between me and this stinking mire and instinctivly i put out my hand and packed the poor hound almost out of site in the mire :oops: , what a look i got from the dog as he dragged himself out, if looks could kill :lol: :lol:

:lol: :lol:

More importantly, did you get the goose?

i did yes, and the dog retrieved it. :good: dog......mans best friend :yes:. could you imagine if you had just packed the wife into a muddy hole, do you think she would have done anything for you ever again :lol:

That 4 bore is some Gun. My mate has a single 4 which I`ve shot and as stated it isn`t as bad as you`d expect. The same mate also owns a punt [with gun]. We`ve used this on our local Washes on our own land and that certainly packs a punch. Due to the expense of reloading my mate now just uses the punt and shoots with his 12!!!!. :rolleyes:

That 4 bore is some Gun. My mate has a single 4 which I`ve shot and as stated it isn`t as bad as you`d expect. The same mate also owns a punt [with gun]. We`ve used this on our local Washes on our own land and that certainly packs a punch. Due to the expense of reloading my mate now just uses the punt and shoots with his 12!!!!. :rolleyes:

I personally think the price of the "loading components" will eventually kill the market for the Big guns, if you follow the auctions the prices have started to fall already, if you dont "load your own" cartridges, you may be forced to pay £100 + for a box of ready made 8 Bore carts in Bismuth or other non-toxic shot, thats if you know someone to load them for you....it becomes very expensive if you miss...not many rounds in 1kg if your loading 2.5oz -3.1/4 case or 3oz in a 4" case...even worse for the 4 Bore lads!...12g 3" = everyday bread & butter gun...8 / 4 Bore..in the near future once in a while, nostalgia outing...but really enjoyed by a few!!

Derbyshire D.

Hi all, still after a single 8 bore for this season, does anyone on this forum know of a "good one" up for grabs? could you let me know, prefer one thats been looked after and not a damaged one, purchased cheap in auction then done up by the "wheeler-Dealers". I know they fetch good money thats not a problem if its a good gun......the ones I've looked at so far have been....well...er... lets just say, I know the price of "SCRAP" has gone up but not by that much!!!!....if not I'll soldier on with the 3" 12 bore!

best wishes...Dale.

[/quote Dale if I were you I would take your time & keep watching the auctions & dont be afraid to have a go at the classy London auction rooms as you can get some decent deals there , for instance some 9 years or so ago I was looking for a good 8g double & I looked at a few that just did not grab me at all due to price & condition . But then I paid a trip to the CLA game fair & a visit to the Bonhams stand & I what did I find ? an Edward Whistler of London double 8 wich had pretty much spotless damascus barrels & the guide price was £2000 to £2500 ( that was then )so a trip to London on the auction day & it was mine for £2400 incl buyers premium & vat & I was chuffed ! but today what would it make ??? . Atb Pole Star

I personally think the price of the "loading components" will eventually kill the market for the Big guns, if you follow the auctions the prices have started to fall already, if you dont "load your own" cartridges, you may be forced to pay £100 + for a box of ready made 8 Bore carts in Bismuth or other non-toxic shot, thats if you know someone to load them for you....it becomes very expensive if you miss...not many rounds in 1kg if your loading 2.5oz -3.1/4 case or 3oz in a 4" case...even worse for the 4 Bore lads!...12g 3" = everyday bread & butter gun...8 / 4 Bore..in the near future once in a while, nostalgia outing...but really enjoyed by a few!!

Derbyshire D.

Dont forget Dale if you are using a big gun you might as well forget buying boxes of ready made cases ! just get your self a supply of emty cases & a few tools & a black powder ticket & you will have loads of fun & remember if you are not shooting over water in Scotland lead is ok to use , for the moment any way . Good luck . :rolleyes:

Dont forget Dale if you are using a big gun you might as well forget buying boxes of ready made cases ! just get your self a supply of emty cases & a few tools & a black powder ticket & you will have loads of fun & remember if you are not shooting over water in Scotland lead is ok to use , for the moment any way . Good luck . :rolleyes:

Cheers "polestar" for the reply;

"Bonhams auction house" phoned me today to say they had read my "Wanted Ad" in Sporting Gun and they have a few 8 Bores in the next sale, to be fair I'd already seen them but it was good of them to phone me!

As far as reloading goes I made sure I knew how to reload the cartridges before attempting to purchase the gun and got kitted out with all the necessary equipment & know how, plus made a fair bit of kit on my lathe.....I've looked at a fair few guns already but there always seems to be something wrong with them..eg...pitting / broken wood / no choke / replacement Hammers / worn Bores etc....you can expect something to go wrong due to the age of them but all of the owners I've met, wont budge on the price, even when you point out the faults...dont mind paying a good price for a good gun....but won't pay good money for a Damaged / faulty one, unless people are prepared to negotiate down the price for what it wll cost to put right...........surely thats reasonable?

best wishes ....Derbyshire D.

Unfortunaely Dale they aint making no more (well not affordable ones) so they do command high prices and I've yet to see one that is perfect, they're all old old guns which have been used in the worst conditions imaginable.

I have a sinlgle 8 which may be for sale (if I ever get it back from the gunsmith) it will need work to make it beautiful again, but as all my nig bore stuff is used for what it was designed and built for then functionality wins over cosmetics.

It's an E.G. Higham of liverpool, Jones rotary underlever, slightly worn foliate and scroll engraved, 36" full choke barrel of damascus twist, bore is beautiful, it is with the gunsmith as I was wanting the chamber recut to 4" and to have it proofed for Nitro.

Cosmetically the wood needs stripping, re-chequering and a nice oil finish applying, the barrel could probably do with rebrowning, and if you want to go the whole hog the action could do with polishing and maybe get the engraving re-cut.

Other than that it is all original, PM me if I've caught your interest.

Mike...

Edited by Magus69

Unfortunaely Dale they aint making no more (well not affordable ones) so they do command high prices and I've yet to see one that is perfect, they're all old old guns which have been used in the worst conditions imaginable.

I have a sinlgle 8 which may be for sale (if I ever get it back from the gunsmith) it will need work to make it beautiful again, but as all my nig bore stuff is used for what it was designed and built for then functionality wins over cosmetics.

It's an E.G. Higham of liverpool, Jones rotary underlever, slightly worn foliate and scroll engraved, 36" full choke barrel of damascus twist, bore is beautiful, it is with the gunsmith as I was wanting the chamber recut to 4" and to have it proofed for Nitro.

Cosmetically the wood needs stripping, re-chequering and a nice oil finish applying, the barrel could probably do with rebrowning, and if you want to go the whole hog the action could do with polishing and maybe get the engraving re-cut.

Mike...

Thanks for the offer Mike......PM sent to you!

Mike...

Personally Mike if you dont mind me saying I think getting the chamber lenthened to 4in is not the best idea as this gun was never intended for 4in nitro cases's & may well fail at proof better in my own opinion is to have it tastefully refinished & carry on using black powder loads that it was originally intended for . Regards Pole Star :ninja:

Hi all, still after a single 8 bore for this season, does anyone on this forum know of a "good one" up for grabs? could you let me know, prefer one thats been looked after and not a damaged one, purchased cheap in auction then done up by the "wheeler-Dealers". I know they fetch good money thats not a problem if its a good gun......the ones I've looked at so far have been....well...er... lets just say, I know the price of "SCRAP" has gone up but not by that much!!!!....if not I'll soldier on with the 3" 12 bore!

best wishes...Dale.

I have put the word out among my big bore mates Dale & if one turns up I will PM you . All the best & good luck Pole Star :rolleyes:

Personally Mike if you dont mind me saying I think getting the chamber lenthened to 4in is not the best idea as this gun was never intended for 4in nitro cases's & may well fail at proof better in my own opinion is to have it tastefully refinished & carry on using black powder loads that it was originally intended for . Regards Pole Star :ninja:

If I or my gunsmith thought it had any chance of failing at the proof house believe me it wouldn't be going!!.

The reason behind the chamber recut and the Nitro reproof is totaly down to the fact that that I have to use NTX shot. Now the inherent problem with NTX shot is it's less dense than lead except Heavy-Shot which as with Steel is a no no through my damascus barrels. So you are faced with the problem that for a given shot charge you have many more pellets than you would with lead, Couple this with a large bulky charge of the black stuff and you cannot fit everything in the case it's a physical impossibility.

Mike...

• 2 weeks later...

Christ!

27lb! Wow - that's a hellova' lump to get off the mud!

Do you use it on the foreshore or just on geese flights over fields?!

T

we have no foreshore shooting here in shetland, its just used for flights over fields between the roost and the feeding grounds.

• 4 weeks later...

best wishes...Dale.

Asked about Dale but not much chance of finding a good single on a budget price think they have all been snapped up a mate of mine phoned Bonhams a while ago to see about selling his boxlock & the first question he got from them was " Any 8 or 4 bores up there " . Good luck mate & keep the search going . Atb Pole Star .