Anyone got a marine tank?

Billy.

Sorry, off topic, but I know you lot can help me.

I've currently got a freshwater tank which is settling in. However I've had a change of heart and fancy swapping it to a saltwater aquarium.

I assume I'm going to have to start again, drain the water and then begin to get the levels correct? I've no idea where to start with all this though, as a lot of sites contradict each other.

My plan is to introduce live sand to the aquarium, once the levels are correct and leave that to do the work for a bit longer. If I use live sand, can I ditch the filter, or is that only the case if I use live rock?

Any advice is greatly appreciated. I'm going for the stereotypical clownfish setup.

Trust me you wont be sick of it , i have been in the world of marine tanks for over 6 months now and love every minute of it. The only work i do on my tank is once a week and thats a 10% water change and quick clean up of the tank. Its the live rock that acts as the filter.

To start i would empty your tank and give it a good clean with white wine vinegar. than add the ro water mix up the salt , then add rock and last of all add the sand . I didn't bother buying live sand as it will become live once its up and running anyway. I only did the main tets whilst in the cycle of the tank ( about the first four weeks )

PM me if you want a nice friendly forum to join as i have find a nice little gem........

updateoftank016.jpg

updateoftank003.jpg

Trust me you wont be sick of it , i have been in the world of marine tanks for over 6 months now and love every minute of it. The only work i do on my tank is once a week and thats a 10% water change and quick clean up of the tank. Its the live rock that acts as the filter.

To start i would empty your tank and give it a good clean with white wine vinegar. than add the ro water mix up the salt , then add rock and last of all add the sand . I didn't bother buying live sand as it will become live once its up and running anyway. I only did the main tets whilst in the cycle of the tank ( about the first four weeks )

Thanks for that. Your tank looks impressive to say the least :good:

Did you have any issues to begin with? The RO bit sounds expensive... Whilst I'm not attempting to scrimp, I don't want to buy the best gear out there - just enough to get me by. However, I also don't want to end up with £100 of dead fish floating around the tank :/

If you're able to give me a rundown of the equipment you've got, that'd be most appreciated, so at least I know what I have left to buy.

My aquarium at the moment is a bit of a different style - it's a 5ft tall, 1.5ft wide glass vase (also makes a good alcohol fishbowl ;) ) and it holds about 9 gallons. So the only issue at the moment is I'm pushed for horizontal space.

Just off on the school run will post all later, also loads of stuff on ebay. You will need ro water as tap water is no good. You can buy the water from a fish shop got about £1 for a few ltrs or get your own unit for £120. My tap water has a tds of 270 once put through the ro unit it has 0 tds.... ( total dissolved solids )

You might struggle with a tank that shape. My last marine set up was a 2ft cube with an overflow to a sump tank. Filtered with live rock and a sump full of bio balls and ceramic media. All water was from an reverse osmosis system and it was run through a chiller to keep the temperature spot on as it was in a conservatory. I had a large pump to run the sump and 4/5 power heads to give a good flow around the live rock.

You will need a good protein skimmer and depending if you want fish only or fish and corals then good lighting. a good clean up crew is a must. This includes hermits and snails and get a lot more than you think you'll need.

If you are determined to have marine then get it right from the start or you will be kicking yourself in 12 months timed when you realise your mistakes.

I don't think you can really do it on the cheep.

Have a look here. Phil at real reefs is a top bloke. I know it's a long way but it's a top shop and well worth the visit.

http://www.realreefs.co.uk/TankSetUp.htm

Harry

I've got a tank you can have billy

I wouldn't say no to having a look at the shape, but I'm pressed for space in my flat and the cylindrical one fits in the kitchen quite snugly.

Have you got a pic?

You might struggle with a tank that shape. My last marine set up was a 2ft cube with an overflow to a sump tank. Filtered with live rock and a sump full of bio balls and ceramic media. All water was from an reverse osmosis system and it was run through a chiller to keep the temperature spot on as it was in a conservatory. I had a large pump to run the sump and 4/5 power heads to give a good flow around the live rock.

You will need a good protein skimmer and depending if you want fish only or fish and corals then good lighting. a good clean up crew is a must. This includes hermits and snails and get a lot more than you think you'll need.

If you are determined to have marine then get it right from the start or you will be kicking yourself in 12 months timed when you realise your mistakes.

I don't think you can really do it on the cheep.

Have a look here. Phil at real reefs is a top bloke. I know it's a long way but it's a top shop and well worth the visit.

http://www.realreefs.co.uk/TankSetUp.htm

Harry

Thanks Harry, I did actually read that exact article earlier today, I found it the most helpful of all the sites I've trawled.

My advice is as follows, make sure You get the biggest tank You can because I guarantee that if You start small you will waste a lot of time and money . Alarge set up is initially more expensive BUT a large tank will be alot easier to keep in the long run and will be much more stable. Live rock (lots of it) and as much water movement as possible (You really cannot over circulate a marine set up) a good skimmer and a lot of time and patience. Top tip find a good supplier and follow his /her advice DONT start taking advice from to many people as it usually contradicts and You will end up in a total mess not knowing who to trust stick with one opinion and you will eventually get there.One more thing when I say lots of live rock I MEAN LOTS AND LOTS!

sorry forgot to add there is the added cost of pumps skimmer possible upgrade on your lighting maybe a uv filter plus the cost of a decent salt mix i am pointing all this out to put you off what is a great hobby but to point out you can expect to see a bigger electric bill have you given any thought to branching out to say any of the rift valley cichlids say lake malawi they are colourfull with loads of interaction very ineresting parentel care and not to pricy just a thought

I was planning to go for an LED outfit on the lighting, as I don't have the room or a big enough tank to justify calling up the electricity supplier about my current plan.

Here's a photo of what my tank would end up looking like (I'd go for more live rocks though)

This tank is shorter, but fatter than the one I've got, but hopefully it'll give you an idea what I'm attempting to do.

2ih6jjr.jpg

hi what will you be keeping in your tank i dont have any experiance in marines but am sure some of the guys on here can advise on stocking levels

I'm planning on two or three clown fish and a couple of cleaner shrimp. Hopefully establish a bit of a reef, but I think that's going to be a bit in the future.

Your right that small set up looks great, BUT the reason the small set up is working is because the guy has very little biological loading ie no fish and he is running a much larger set up along side it ie another much larger matured stable tank, and this will probably be his water supply and a means to aquire matured live rock. when you go to your fish/ coral supplier the stock is often kept in tiny tanks, but they will all run to a very large sump and filter set up.Trust me small tanks rarely prosper and you will be very limited to what you can keep.

Up the A1 off at the Baldock exit visit Koi Carp, a very large store with a very large choice of marine equipment and stock, used to take the kids and tell em it was a zoo !

I always fancied a marine set up but stuck with tropical , put off by the work, but they are stunning.

Another great place to visit for choice and inspiration is Crews Hill Rd in Enfield, at least 2-3 of the top shops in the country on it.

Billy, your tank is not suitable for corals. They are very very light dependant and as your tank is 5ft deep no light would get to the bottom. You would be able to have 12-18 inches at the top. Also how would you arrange the coral/rock at the bottom, clean the gravel, arrange power heads and things like that? You would have a mass of pipes and cables running down the back and to be honest it would look gash. And if the rock moved and hit the side you could ventilate the tank..that's not good!ansocwhere would you put the skimmer.

I'm not trying to be negative but the biggest mistake you could make is going into it and trying to make what you have got work. Get round a few shops, explain what you want and see what they have and go from there.

Harry

i will be changing over to marine set up in the next 2 weeks ive kept tropical fish for 10 years so now gonna give the marine fish ago, ive a juwel trigon 190 tank gonna cost me about £200 to do the set up and thats before i even start to buy bits of rock and fish to put in the tank a lot of money but looking forward to it :good: