A long weekend on the pigeons and "blackies"

Topgunners

I had 3 phone calls from different farmers last week ,1) saying there were a lot of crows and jackdaws eating away on a maize clamp on one farm and the 2nd one, he wanted them sorting out as the young ones were moulting all their feathers into the cattle feed and the 3rd one they had eaten the wheat about 6 feet into the field.

Saturday

we drove round looking for the pigeons and finally by mid-afternoon we found some on a field of chickweed. We set up 2 hides about 100 yards apart and had a nice steady few hours up until the rain came about 6.30pm. Total 91 pigeons.

Sunday

we arranged to head over to the wheat field very early morning , but unfortunately my mate and his boys just cannot get up early on a sunday morning( *****y nightmare). I decided to set off about 7.00am after 1,325,444 phone calls to them. After a 45 minute drive I arrived at the farm to only see 2 other shooters just setting up. Had a quick chat with them and gave them some of my dead birds to start off with. I went mooching elsewhere. NOTHING. I went back and sat watching them until my mates finally arrived, (with a few ^&(^(^*?><*^^?><?**** from me to say the least.) :angry:

They had shot about 20 by then , fair play to them. We left to try the 2nd farm. Upon arrival about 1,500- 1,700 "blackies" lifted up into the sky from around the barns like a huge flock of black locusts. We were amazed at the amount in one spot. My mate and I set up around the barns and the 2 boys went up the farm and set up on a grass field next to a lake. 12 decoys, a magnet and 2 floaters.

After about 1 1/2 hours we had shot 6 and they had shot about 50.

We picked up and went and joined the boys and cleaned up the decoys; substituting all of the plastics with dead birds and had some lovely decoyed birds and fast high birds in the strong winds. Total 86 "blackies" 1 x pigeon and a magpie.(73 picked up)

IMAG0105.jpg

Tuesday

Late afternoon,we went to the farm with the "feather droppers" and around 500 took flight. We watched them for a while and decided to set up on the edge of a wheat field that had a couple of blow holes. After a short while we had 3 down, so now set up a magnet and a flapper only. No other decoys. We shot steady for a couple of hours; adding 3 floaters to the decoys. Ended up shooting till 7.30pm. I ended up with a lovely triple for my last shot. Total shot 53.

Final tally 232 birds. That should please the farmers for a while.

We will return at the weekend with the boys and spread out all over the farm. 3 maybe 4 hides; as we noticed the bulk flock had moved to the far end of the farm on a grass field.

UNLESS it chucks it down; and if so, I will go river fishing on a nice unfished, private spot on the AVON.

Do Barbel and Chub have wings? I can't remember. :blink:

Tight chokes and maybe tight lines. lol

Dave K

I had 3 phone calls from different farmers last week ,1) saying there were a lot of crows and jackdaws eating away on a maize clamp on one farm and the 2nd one, he wanted them sorting out as the young ones were moulting all their feathers into the cattle feed and the 3rd one they had eaten the wheat about 6 feet into the field.

Saturday

we drove round looking for the pigeons and finally by mid-afternoon we found some on a field of chickweed. We set up 2 hides about 100 yards apart and had a nice steady few hours up until the rain came about 6.30pm. Total 91 pigeons.

Sunday

we arranged to head over to the wheat field very early morning , but unfortunately my mate and his boys just cannot get up early on a sunday morning( *****y nightmare). I decided to set off about 7.00am after 1,325,444 phone calls to them. After a 45 minute drive I arrived at the farm to only see 2 other shooters just setting up. Had a quick chat with them and gave them some of my dead birds to start off with. I went mooching elsewhere. NOTHING. I went back and sat watching them until my mates finally arrived, (with a few ^&(^(^*?><*^^?><?**** from me to say the least.) :angry:

They had shot about 20 by then , fair play to them. We left to try the 2nd farm. Upon arrival about 1,500- 1,700 "blackies" lifted up into the sky from around the barns like a huge flock of black locusts. We were amazed at the amount in one spot. My mate and I set up around the barns and the 2 boys went up the farm and set up on a grass field next to a lake. 12 decoys, a magnet and 2 floaters.

After about 1 1/2 hours we had shot 6 and they had shot about 50.

We picked up and went and joined the boys and cleaned up the decoys; substituting all of the plastics with dead birds and had some lovely decoyed birds and fast high birds in the strong winds. Total 86 "blackies" 1 x pigeon and a magpie.(73 picked up)

IMAG0105.jpg

Tuesday

Late afternoon,we went to the farm with the "feather droppers" and around 500 took flight. We watched them for a while and decided to set up on the edge of a wheat field that had a couple of blow holes. After a short while we had 3 down, so now set up a magnet and a flapper only. No other decoys. We shot steady for a couple of hours; adding 3 floaters to the decoys. Ended up shooting till 7.30pm. I ended up with a lovely triple for my last shot. Total shot 53.

Final tally 232 birds. That should please the farmers for a while.

We will return at the weekend with the boys and spread out all over the farm. 3 maybe 4 hides; as we noticed the bulk flock had moved to the far end of the farm on a grass field.

UNLESS it chucks it down; and if so, I will go river fishing on a nice unfished, private spot on the AVON.

Do Barbel and Chub have wings? I can't remember. :blink:

Tight chokes and maybe tight lines. lol

Dave K

With the amount of sport you seem to have I am surprized that your shooting buddies are not knocking on your door raring to go rather than staying in bed.