Anyone into running

gixer1

Out of curiosity how old are all you runners? I reach the dreaded 40 next year and haven't done a lot of exercise in the preceding 40 years so am beginning to think for longevity I should start doing some exercise.....

I started at 35, I'm 36 now. As I said, on my first run I thought I was going to die. It gets a lot easier :good:

NOW is a great time to start. Running can be hard, but once your fitness increases everything else in life becomes easier.

When you get to 5k, just hurl a load of abuse at any nearby hoodied yoofs......you will soon get your second wind! :lol:

So, your body can take it, see...I'm sure its a mental thing, as others have said. I had the same problem when cycling years ago, hit the wall (used to call it bonking!) and just couldn't go any further :blink:

I like treadmill running but to break through a barrier it's easier if you are running outside, partly as you don't have the red numbers in front of you, partly as if you quit at 5k you have to walk!

I don't really think you needed to be too bothered about eating and drinking for that sort of distance, I never bother taking anything with me up to 10k as long as I am hydrated and have eaten relatively recently, I've only really ever noticed performance drop off over this distance.

If you want to stay on a treadmill I would walk for a bit at 5k to get breath back and then go on for a bit, over a short time that gap will get smaller until you can push through

Well done for getting back into it, I find it very therapeutic. I now wear barefoot shoes which is not for everyone I suppose but personally really suits me.