Peeling Pheasant Eggs

Piebob

The syndicate I'm in got the pheasants (ex-layers) a bit earlier than anticipated. They weren't exactly "ex" layers either in that they produced quite a lot of eggs. I've given away quite a lot, and eaten a few myself and I'm going to pickle the rest.

They are all hard boiled and ready for the pickling, but I'm rubbish at peeling off the shells. Has anyone got any special tricks to ease the peeling process. I've probably got another 30 to peel and am having too many casualties!

Also, anybody got any favourite recipes for pickling eggs?

Do you boil the water prior to dropping in the egg?I find that if you place the egg in the pan before the water is boiling,all eggs are hard to peel.

We have had over 200 eggs from our ex-layers in the past month,all are in incubators now.Don't know if they'll hatch,but if not we'll probably do the same as you next year. :good:

Thanks for the advice guys, will give these ideas a try.

Scully, to answer your question - I put them in warm water then brought that to the boil, so I can try going straight into boiling water in the future. Good luck with the hatch!

I've enjoyed the eggs I've eaten so far, and so have all the other folk at work who have had some. The eggs have a really big yoke compared to "normal" chicken eggs.

Hi Deershooter has it bang on. All eggs are the same. The albumen has a stronger bond with the skin inside the shell. Dont waste time with vinegar unless pickling them. They'd poach or fry a treat . The same goes for quail eggs leave them a week then cook them.

John