Scope for my .17hmr

*zinc

Hi all.

I am looking for some advice on what's cope to buy for my new CZ American .17hmr LH.

I have afew scopes in mind and I would like opinions on them or any others you can recommend.

Nikko Sterling Gameking 6-24x50 or 4-16x50 AO mil dot.

Hawke Sport HD 4-12X50 mil dot AO

BSA Sweet 17 6-18x40 AO

Thanks for looking

Of the three you've mentioned, buy the Hawke. With a budget like that choice is very limited, even second hand. Buy the Hawke, save hard for something decent like Meopta, Weaver, Duralyt or quality Euro second hand, and then keep the Hawke either as an air-rifle or an emergency scope.

Personally I would stop being blinded with the 4 - 24,000 x 50,000 specs, a 3 - 9 x 40/50 mag would be more than decent for the HMR.

I'm in the same situation with a **** budget and would go for a secondhand Leupold VX , MTC or something like that. Having said that I've got retro Simmons a 3 - 9 x 40 on the .22LR and a spare Tasco Golden Antler 3 - 9 x 40 that I bought as a kid that have never caused a problem on small firearms.

Edited by Livefast123

Personally I would stop being blinded with the 4 - 24,000 x 50,000 specs, a 3 - 9 x 40/50 mag would be more than decent for the HMR.

I'm in the same situation with a **** budget and would go for a secondhand Leupold VX , MTC or something like that. Having said that I've got retro Simmons a 3 - 9 x 40 on the .22LR and a spare Tasco Golden Antler 3 - 9 x 40 that I bought as a kid that have never caused a problem on small firearms.

I agree you don't need more than 10 power in the field with an HMR, though 12 for zeroing is handy (they don't punch much of a hole). 4-12X50 is a very common format with lots to choose from.

Wouldn't touch a Nikko Sterling myself. Bought one in a combo deal with my HMR and total waste of money. Wind it up to 12 or 14 power and pick a target at 150 yds and its like looking through perspex. Took it back to the shop and got a credit and robbed the Hawke of my air-rifle. Far better optics for a cheapie.

I picked up a second hand leupold VX II 3-9X42 for £100. It's an excellent scope. The light gathering is better than I was expecting given how many people look down their noses at Leupold optics. Its been on every one of my rifles at some point and I won't be getting rid of it. Its a reliable fall-back. If disaster strikes there's always the Leupold. Miniscule reticle puts some people off but you get used to it and it doesn't crowd the target. :good: A keeper.

If the OP can find one of these for a oner, buy it. But might need some bins to zero it.

I agree you don't need more than 10 power in the field with an HMR, though 12 for zeroing is handy (they don't punch much of a hole). 4-12X50 is a very common format with lots to choose from.

Wouldn't touch a Nikko Sterling myself. Bought one in a combo deal with my HMR and total waste of money. Wind it up to 12 or 14 power and pick a target at 150 yds and its like looking through perspex. Took it back to the shop and got a credit and robbed the Hawke of my air-rifle. Far better optics for a cheapie.

I picked up a second hand leupold VX II 3-9X42 for £100. It's an excellent scope. The light gathering is better than I was expecting given how many people look down their noses at Leupold optics. Its been on every one of my rifles at some point and I won't be getting rid of it. Its a reliable fall-back. If disaster strikes there's always the Leupold. Miniscule reticle puts some people off but you get used to it and it doesn't crowd the target. :good: A keeper.

If the OP can find one of these for a oner, buy it. But might need some bins to zero it.

The loosing focus above 12x is to be expected with any scope you must re- focus via paralax to range. the same way FT shooters rangefind. The higher the mag the more it happens

The loosing focus above 12x is to be expected with any scope you must re- focus via paralax to range. the same way FT shooters rangefind. The higher the mag the more it happens

Its not that the image is out of focus but milky. Both scopes have parallax adjustment but set both scopes correctly for target distance look through each in turn and the Hawke has the cleaner image.