Crayfishing With Bakerboy

blowin

Today was my (and my son's) long-awaited introduction to crayfishing, courtesy of Pigeonwatch hero and all round nice guy Terry Bakerboy.

First things first, a spot where one can fish legally...

Sign.jpg

Then in go the nets and a few seconds later we have our first crayfish...

Monster.jpg

This one was, coincidentally, the biggest of the day...

Measure.jpg

We hit the 100 mark after 45 minutes although things started to slow down. By the time we left/Billy turned up the count had hit 347...

Count.jpg

The day's catch was divided up. Here's my 11.5 kilos...

Trug.jpg

Total weight for the day 22kg. Amazing.

Thanks to Terry, as always, for a great day out. Will post pictures of the big cook-up tomorrow...

It was good to see Eden enjoying himself, and he was not afraid to pick up the Crayfish.

The weather could have been kinder. but it was better than was forecast.

I have not heard from Billy so not sure of the final total, but 347 in 2.5 hours is pretty good.

Tony, Winchester84 is busy with his share. I on the other hand am enjoying a nice bottle of Red.

I hope you and the family manage to get out and fish again, it is good family fun.

By the way good pictures

Edited by bakerboy

I,d love to find some/lots of them up here bud, i know there are some places up here that are starting to get real problems with them beasties, but it,s not so easy trying to find out where the critters are, or how to go about getting them :good:

I,d love to find some/lots of them up here bud, i know there are some places up here that are starting to get real problems with them beasties, but it,s not so easy trying to find out where the critters are, or how to go about getting them :good:

The Crayfish are bottom feeding scavengers.

Old rabbit and pigeon are good, but anything that has smell and blood to attract them under water will do the trick.

Ask your local Fishermen where they are, they will will tell you.

Good hunting

Terry

Well done Terry, wish I could have made it.

Well done the little man too, that's a good size cray you're holding!!

Cos

Little Eden was top man on the Clicker Counter to.

We may have to count the Crayfish like pigeons, X shot x picked. I reckon we let 20 plus get away that were hanging on the outside of the net and we were not quick enough to catch/scoop them up with the support net. (no not Lesley's stockings).

I think I can report James "blowin" and Tony "winchester84" are now hooked.

The Crayfish are bottom feeding scavengers.

Old rabbit and pigeon are good, but anything that has smell and blood to attract them under water will do the trick.

Ask your local Fishermen where they are, they will will tell you.

Good hunting

Terry

Aye thanks for the reply, I do know how the crayfish go about there business, more importent, how did they manage to appear up here? I do know there are some problems in the tweed,tay,spey,up this end, and they seem to be starting to cause some pretty major concerns, but up here i would,nt have the fogiest how to go about the little/big ******* :good::good::good:

Aye thanks for the reply, I do know how the crayfish go about there business, more importent, how did they manage to appear up here? I do know there are some problems in the tweed,tay,spey,up this end, and they seem to be starting to cause some pretty major concerns, but up here i would,nt have the fogiest how to go about the little/big ******* :good::good::good:

Trouble is its ilegal to fish for them or have live crayfish in your possesion in Scotland you forget what kind of Muppets run this country. Remember as a "conservation" measure they banned the sale of rod caught Salmon and Seatrout you can only sell them if NETTED.

MUPPETS :good: :o :yp:

Nice one Terry, in fact as you will probably recall we did have crayfishing on the original list of activities for the 2012 Cotswolds event, along with a few other things which got postponed. We'll have to get our heads together for next year and see if there are places down here (Mike & Nick will know I'm sure) to have a go if conditions are right next May. As I recall they weren't this time.

Trouble is its ilegal to fish for them or have live crayfish in your possesion in Scotland you forget what kind of Muppets run this country. Remember as a "conservation" measure they banned the sale of rod caught Salmon and Seatrout you can only sell them if NETTED.

MUPPETS :good: :o :yp:

Daft question,If they are causing problems in some rivers up here, be it eating salmon,trout eggs,young fish,etc,WHY Is it ilegal to remove them from the water :hmm:

Bumped into you lot just as you were packing up. I think we caught about 55 or so after you went.

My local paid us £15 for them, so that covered lunch.

We had 347 weighing 22 kilo's better return than Pigeons :lol: :lol:

I am out again on Wednesday with 3 of my Nephews from Saudi should be interesting, as they are very strict Muslims and I will not be able to use Bacon,it will have to be Halal Chicken :hmm::lol: