what should i say??

youngshot

When aproaching the farmer, what should you say to him? etc etc and any other help with gaining permision? my house over looks about 300 acres, no body shoots on it, and i regularly see huge flocks of pigeons and crows. So any help on gaining permission would be very helpful !!

Thanks Young Shot

When aproaching the farmer, what should you say to him? etc etc and any other help with gaining permision? my house over looks about 300 acres, no body shoots on it, and i regularly see huge flocks of pigeons and crows. So any help on gaining permission would be very helpful !!

Thanks Young Shot

Do you know the guy? Getting permision is 95% about the farmer trusting that he can let you lose on his property, armed and potentially dangerous, without any risk. It's quite hard to create that confidence. If you can get to know him (since you live right there on his doorstep) that would be the best introduction. One place I go have a few local lads who help out on the farm. They keep stock so they have loads of not very skilled jobs to do, which might not fit with your situation. All those lads turn up with airguns whenever they like.

If you don't know him and you still want to ask him straight up, then find out his name by asking around and approach him along the lines of -

'Hello Mr ...... My name is ...... and I live just alongside one of your fields, at ..... and the thing is I've noticed quite a lot of pigeons flapping all over it and I think they may be damaging your crop. If you like, I could shoot them for you with my ......... I know you don't know me, but I am a very respectable and tustworthy lad and I'll take great care not to be any trouble to you if you do decide to let me shoot them.'

If you look genuine and pleasant (a few smiles in the right place usually put people at ease) then you might stand a good chance.

Best of luck. It can be a tough job.

Bang on.

Asking to shoot when you are not offering any help can result in a no outright. If you spot a problem and offer to help him with it you will have more luck.

It is also easier to be less nervous and seem less desperate if you are bringing something to the party. Otherwise its only you that will benifit from the permission and that might lead to a no.

Most important, is he says no then ask if you can leave a card with your name/mumber and if you can call back again - you might get that call, it worked for me recently :)

I find that farmers seem more trusting if you offer to start off shooting rabbits with an air rifle and once they

realise you are trusted, ie closing gates behind you, walking in the right places, generally not causing trouble, then they may offer to allow you to use shotguns etc on the farm too.

Its worked for me but I don't know what you are shooting with so its just advice.

There is one approach that you can try, that has not been mentioned here and that is flattery. But it does involve some homework.

1 Take some photos of his stock.

2 Go home and research them.

3 When you go and speak to him comment on how well his Hereford bull is looking, or his Gloucester old spot pig, his Cheviot ewes. Or that Black face ram was looking a bit peaky.

Philately will get you everywhere! As the Chinese stamp collector said.

Tiercel