Pigeon scaring

Hello

I am brand new to the sport of pigeon shooting (or in my case pigeon scaring) and need a bit of advice.

My main problem seems to be lead (deflection), I bought a gun after having some practice on clays with other guns and rather niavely went out after work and had a pop. I defenitly got close and I suspect one or two of the pigeons may have soiled themselves but from 10 cartridges no kills. 10 cartridges was a bad idea too, i thought it would be like rifle shooting, fire a shot and wait for half an hour but it was quite fast paced.

I've read that people use bum body beak bang on seperate topics im just confused as to from what direction that works. I.e. im its the same for left to right as quartering.

I will be taking the gun (i can call it a gun now without people getting angry as oppose to rifles :lol:) to the shooting school and getting some practice but I would just appreciate the advice.

Ohh and try and keep the tongue in cheek to a minimum; it just makes it confusing :lol:

I had a shoot that often had standing water. It really helped to fire and see how long the shot took to arrive. Once you get a feel for that delay you can work it into your normal shooting as a starting point. I was surprised that some crossing birds needed 10+ feet of lead. If you can't find a big puddle then some dusty ground will do, or the bolting rabbit at a clay shoot.

If you are missing a lot give more lead than you think is needed, you might be stopping the swing just as you decide to shoot, if you start to connect then you could work on that swing.

I'm no expert by a long long way, but these have helped me to hit the occasional pigeon.

Still a bit confused about this bum belly beak bang principle. Is it meant to be said at a particular cadence whilst pulling through the target or what?

The idea of it being a guess is great but at the moment i dont know where to start guessing.

The only thing ive learnt is not to shoot where i was shooting :lol:

Go shoot a round of skeet as a starting point.....I think live quarry is hardest place to learn and probably not the place to start.The snow ball analogy above is a good one.You need to aim in front but each person sees the gap differently you need to start seeing a few leads for yourself and clays is the place to start building these mental pictures.atb

Still confused

bum body beak bang. Sounds simple but is it a case of saying each at a timing.

Im still stuck with no time to go out and practice :angry:

As has been mentioned - try to get out to a clay ground and shoot at some fast crossers (or skeet). This will allow you to get used to seeing the target, moving, mounting and shooting. You have mentioned the bum, beak, bang. With pigeons (depending on range, speed and direction) the amount that you shoot in front of the target (lead/deflection) will vary considerably. That takes practice and experience.

If you have permission to shoot on you should be able to find some kind PW member who would happily show you the ropes in exchange for the chance to nail a few woodies.

You need to get some practice and get someone to give you some advice. It's not that easy!

Good luck.