any tips on how to stop my dog dropping pigeons

tom9284

hi there ive just started taking one of my springers pigeon shooting with me. He picks up and brings back dummys all day long but with the pigeons he finds them no problem but he keeps dropping them. It looks like he is doing this because of the feathers because you see he spitting the out.Any tips on how to get him used to the feel of a real bird would be much appreciated.I have kept a few pigeons to practice with him whilst on his walk.

hi there ive just started taking one of my springers pigeon shooting with me. He picks up and brings back dummys all day long but with the pigeons he finds them no problem but he keeps dropping them. It looks like he is doing this because of the feathers because you see he spitting the out.Any tips on how to get him used to the feel of a real bird would be much appreciated.I have kept a few pigeons to practice with him whilst on his walk.

many dont like them, teaching "hold" might help- if your realy dont like them you might have to consider using another dog. does it like holding rabbits etc? if it does then you got a pigeon hater i recon

Have you tried running in the opposite direction when it has the bird in it's mouth? The excitement of you running away can distract the dog from the pigeon and make it chase after you - don't be too keen about getting the pigeon from the dog when he does hold it; let it have a bit of pleasure carrying it as dogs love to retrieve.

thanks everyone ive tried him on our walk with wings on a dummy and he's doing well. i just think he was unsure about the feathers to start with as he's never experienced them before. lets face it they feel a lot different to a dummy or a rabbit skin which he's been used to.

Have you tried running in the opposite direction when it has the bird in it's mouth? The excitement of you running away can distract the dog from the pigeon and make it chase after you - don't be too keen about getting the pigeon from the dog when he does hold it; let it have a bit of pleasure carrying it as dogs love to retrieve.

good point :good: