Tactical stocks.

Yosemite Sam

Hi pigeon poppers . My first real post . Please go easy on me :)

It seems to me manufacturers are claiming "tactical" stocks are better suited to our great British weather.

What do you seasoned hunters think?.

My own opinion is, a well cared for wood should last a lifetime and more.

Cheers.

Sam.

Yes, I hate them. That said I have a FAC semi in plastic and am in the process of swapping a nice piece of walnut for a stainless/synthetic .308. It makes me sad when I scratch a nice piece of wood. I do my best to take care of my guns, but they are tools to use. If you are climbing walls in the dark things will get knocked or scraped.

I prefer wood but plastic has its plus points.

I have both - wood on my Browning and Marlin, but synthetic on my Benelli and Ruger, both synthetics are my gun of choice in any sort of wet/damp weather etc. I wonder if the manufacturers think it gives 'macho' appeal to use words like 'tactical'? At one time it was used mainly for some of the airsoft copies of military hardware, now there are similar in the .22RF market. Now it seems that any gun with a black plastic stock gets described as 'tactical', - not really helpful when we as shooters are trying to distance ourselves from the 'any gun with a scope/moderator is a Sniper Rifle' brigade... :yp:

Edited by Bloke

Cheers for the replies chaps . Some things to think about for sure.

I hadn't figured on the accidental damage/battle scars thing but it would certainly be a pain to damage a lovely stock.

I am in agreement with the tool argument too but can't justify having an expensive gun just to admire - it's gotta earn it's keep.

I've only imagined for the moment of shooting from the comfort of the living room out through the patio doors :) all the mod cons at hand :)

This house has been on the border of an ex mine working now land-fill for the past eight years and the company has applied for a four year extension, believe me the Rattus has well dug in(shame gulls aint on the vermin list).

I do aim to hunt further afield in the future so thanks for givin' me noodle summat to work on.

'appy 'untin'

Regards.

Sam.

Edited by Yosemite Sam

Cheers for the replies chaps . Some things to think about for sure.

I hadn't figured on the accidental damage/battle scars thing but it would certainly be a pain to damage a lovely stock.

I am in agreement with the tool argument too but can't justify having an expensive gun just to admire - it's gotta earn it's keep.

I've only imagined for the moment of shooting from the comfort of the living room out through the patio doors :) all the mod cons at hand :)

This house has been on the border of an ex mine working now land-fill for the past eight years and the company has applied for a four year extension, believe me the Rattus has well dug in(shame gulls aint on the vermin list).

I do aim to hunt further afield in the future so thanks for givin' me noodle summat to work on.

'appy 'untin'

Regards.

Sam.

You'll like my last thread then... :oops:My link

That said, I still prefer a wooden stock :good:

To look at, tree-based stocks all day please..

However I think the beauty of a wooden stock belongs on a shotgun, a gun that is carried lovingly on the elbow between shooting areas and then carefully placed back into a lambswool lined slip!

Rifles on the other hand get crawled with, dragged through muck and branches during the stalk. As robust as well finished wood is, it will eventually take knocks and scratches much to the dismay of the owner. Thats the reason I have three wooden shotguns, one synthetic rifle and another synthetic rifle on order.

Then there is the whole argument about wood warping and effect barrel harmonics and changing point of aim with variations in climatic conditions, but I don't know nearly enough about that stuff to go down that road.

To look at, tree-based stocks all day please..

However I think the beauty of a wooden stock belongs on a shotgun, a gun that is carried lovingly on the elbow between shooting areas and then carefully placed back into a lambswool lined slip!

Rifles on the other hand get crawled with, dragged through muck and branches during the stalk. As robust as well finished wood is, it will eventually take knocks and scratches much to the dismay of the owner. Thats the reason I have three wooden shotguns, one synthetic rifle and another synthetic rifle on order.

Then there is the whole argument about wood warping and effect barrel harmonics and changing point of aim with variations in climatic conditions, but I don't know nearly enough about that stuff to go down that road.

More food for thought.

I'm now figurin' a nice wooden job for balmy summer days and a synthetic jobber for the low down and dirty in the mud.

Cheers for the reply.

Sam.

According to my dictionary (Collins), "tactical" is an adjective meaning 1. "of, relating to, or employing tactics"; 2. "used in or supporting limited military operations";

3. "skilful or diplomatic".

What any of these definitions really has to do with an ugly piece of plastic masquerading as a gun-stock I don't know. I suppose being able to tell your mates you've got a "tactical stock" / "tactical scope" / "tactical bi-pod" / "tactical knife" / "tactical boots" seems like a great way to impress - if you're a) 15, B) immature, c) a bit of a Walt. I don't think it would work for me with my pals, though. I'd get less of a hard time if I told them I had a sexually-transmitted disease.

But the marketing people are awfully good at coming up with these meaningless buzz-words, aren't they?. Remember when turbo-charged cars first hit the headlines? Suddenly we had "turbo" razors, and "turbo" vacuum-cleaners as well, amongst other improbable things.

I have to say that inappropriately-used terminology amuses me at first, then irritates me. Terminology like "bullet head". What the hell's a bullet head?? IT'S A BULLET!!!!

According to my dictionary (Collins), "tactical" is an adjective meaning 1. "of, relating to, or employing tactics"; 2. "used in or supporting limited military operations";

What any of these definitions really has to do with an ugly piece of plastic masquerading as a gun-stock I don't know. I suppose being able to tell your mates you've got a "tactical stock" / "tactical scope" / "tactical bi-pod" / "tactical knife" / "tactical boots" seems like a great way to impress - if you're a) 15, B) immature, c) a bit of a Walt. I don't think it would work for me with my pals, though. I'd get less of a hard time if I told them I had a sexually-transmitted disease.

But the marketing people are awfully good at coming up with these meaningless buzz-words, aren't they?. Remember when turbo-charged cars first hit the headlines? Suddenly we had "turbo" razors, and "turbo" vacuum-cleaners as well, amongst other improbable things.

I have to say that inappropriately-used terminology amuses me at first, then irritates me. Terminology like "bullet head". What the hell's a bullet head?? IT'S A BULLET!!!!

Another great angle on this.

I do now believe synthetic stocks have benefits in some conditions and thats how I'll now view them from now on, artificial.

Also I have to agree on the inappropriateness of the word, who in their right mind goes "tactical" on bunnies?. Sure stealthily, certainly quietly.

A marketing gimmik that falls well short of doing any good to end users and manufacturers alike.

Cheers for the input.

Regards.

Sam.

Another great angle on this.

I do now believe synthetic stocks have benefits in some conditions and thats how I'll now view them from now on, artificial.

Also I have to agree on the inappropriateness of the word, who in their right mind goes "tactical" on bunnies?. Sure stealthily, certainly quietly.

A marketing gimmik that falls well short of doing any good to end users and manufacturers alike.

Cheers for the input.

Regards.

Sam.

I thought this straight off, people leapt in and substituted Tactical for Synthetic.

There are plenty of pros and cons for wood and synthetic, my rifles have a pretty even split of both.

Tactical is open to debate/interpretation, but for general field use I see little or no use for the term.

Edited by Dekers

To me a tactical stock is one that is produced so as it cant create zero shift in changing climatic conditions. True composites often with ali bedding blocks or pillars, these are the ultimate rifle stocks. injection molded plasic rubbish? no thanks rather have a laminate, or even a nice bit of walnut. In plasic action screw pressures can change, forearms often bend when used off a bipod etc. and they are awfull things to bed correctly.

On an airgun, plasic has some worth- though beech has the advantage of recoil softening springers through its weight and walnut does look nice for the 90% plus who dont actually hunt or abuse thier guns in the mud, brambles and rain

I thought this straight off, people leapt in and substituted Tactical for Synthetic.

There are plenty of pros and cons for wood and synthetic, my rifles have a pretty even split of both.

Tactical is open to debate/interpretation, but for general field use I see little or no use for the term.

I fully agree mate. Thanks for the input.

To me a tactical stock is one that is produced so as it cant create zero shift in changing climatic conditions. True composites often with ali bedding blocks or pillars, these are the ultimate rifle stocks. injection molded plasic rubbish? no thanks rather have a laminate, or even a nice bit of walnut. In plasic action screw pressures can change, forearms often bend when used off a bipod etc. and they are awfull things to bed correctly.

On an airgun, plasic has some worth- though beech has the advantage of recoil softening springers through its weight and walnut does look nice for the 90% plus who dont actually hunt or abuse thier guns in the mud, brambles and rain

I'm not sure what zero drift is . but I know that wood does "move" in changing temperatures and humidities, The proof is my guitars can be perfectly tuned at home but after some hours in the back of a van and unpacking their pitch can be way off.

Disclaimer .. > I don't advocate synthethetic guitars !!

Cheers guys .. 'appy 'untin'

Sam.

I fully agree mate. Thanks for the input.

I'm not sure what zero drift is . but I know that wood does "move" in changing temperatures and humidities, The proof is my guitars can be perfectly tuned at home but after some hours in the back of a van and unpacking their pitch can be way off.

Disclaimer .. > I don't advocate synthethetic guitars !!

Cheers guys .. 'appy 'untin'

Sam.

its not as applicable to airguns and the ranges 1/2 MOA, even 1MOA shift would be hard to notice at 40yds. I learnt the hard way leaving a walnut stocked stalking rifle in the boot overnight during the first bad frost of that year. Up before first light and into the highseat. A roe doe emerged - i fired at a fair range. My mate who was spotting commented on my good but chancy neck shot taken at range- I AIMED FOR THE HEART! gun must be off.

Anyhow it needed to be checked, a quick paper taget was sorted back at the caravan only a few hundered yards away after collecting the single doe. Yep at 200yds it was well off, but then shots started to come in more as the gun was being shot and warmed also by contact. Things were then left till after breakfast when it was spot on zero again without a dial being touched.

we all know how a timber front door can swell and contract with the weather to such an extent that it can be drafty or stuck fast- well similar happens to natural wooden stocks. This can depending on how much and were drasically alter the set zero

Im sad to say tactical is a word that boys that like their toys are looking for. I see the benefit of synthetic stocks but i have a nice bit of tree. Covered in scratches mind but it wouldnt be the same with plastic.

Its like having two brands of toilet paper. One normal and one saying "as used by the special forces to wipe their *** with"

Thats how advertising works if you look at the olympics there are all sorts of weird products that you wonder what the tie in is.

Its designed to widen the group of people it appeals too but to be honest people who just like their toys should not be allowed any sort of gun. You need a purpose for it otherwise its useless.

Rant over by all means by a tactical stock but have a better reason than saying "well it said tactical on it mush and im one of those tactical people" or I will be violently sick :sick:

its not as applicable to airguns and the ranges 1/2 MOA, even 1MOA shift would be hard to notice at 40yds. I learnt the hard way leaving a walnut stocked stalking rifle in the boot overnight during the first bad frost of that year. Up before first light and into the highseat. A roe doe emerged - i fired at a fair range. My mate who was spotting commented on my good but chancy neck shot taken at range- I AIMED FOR THE HEART! gun must be off.

Anyhow it needed to be checked, a quick paper taget was sorted back at the caravan only a few hundered yards away after collecting the single doe. Yep at 200yds it was well off, but then shots started to come in more as the gun was being shot and warmed also by contact. Things were then left till after breakfast when it was spot on zero again without a dial being touched.

we all know how a timber front door can swell and contract with the weather to such an extent that it can be drafty or stuck fast- well similar happens to natural wooden stocks. This can depending on how much and were drasically alter the set zero

Nice one, cheers for the info! . a great way of explaining it.

Im sad to say tactical is a word that boys that like their toys are looking for. I see the benefit of synthetic stocks but i have a nice bit of tree. Covered in scratches mind but it wouldnt be the same with plastic.

Its like having two brands of toilet paper. One normal and one saying "as used by the special forces to wipe their *** with"

Thats how advertising works if you look at the olympics there are all sorts of weird products that you wonder what the tie in is.

Its designed to widen the group of people it appeals too but to be honest people who just like their toys should not be allowed any sort of gun. You need a purpose for it otherwise its useless.

Rant over by all means by a tactical stock but have a better reason than saying "well it said tactical on it mush and im one of those tactical people" or I will be violently sick :sick:

lol I agree.

I don't think it does any good in our sport to use this terminology but I don't see any options open to us.

It's up to manufacturers to take some responsibility . "All weather" would, especially in UK be a far better and sensible option.

Sam.