Fill in the English Channel

four-wheel-drive

If everyone in Britain that moaned about the weather had to move out it would be pretty deserted.

And if we bowed to every crackpot idea there'd be nothing left. I wasn't advocating people were forced out because they didn't like the weather.

Edited by Reabrook

I have often thought that it would be a good idea to fill in the Channel so that we could just drive across and also what would doing this do to our weather I have gust seen this and found it to be most informative.

http://forum.netweat...nglish-channel/

Unlike a lot of you I do not live in some sort of dream world where we British still rule the world and feel superior to the rest of Europe but I expect the usual rants from people with brans the size of peas rather than giving sensible replies.

Well it's hardly a sensible idea you have put forward is it now. :no: :no:

I think that it is a bit late to do that there are more people living hear from other countries than us British/English

As I said at the start it was a waist of time trying to have a sensible discussion about the climate and what would be the effect of diverting the channel around the other side but I should not of expected better.

There aren't more immigrants living here than natives, though the previous government greatly wished there were as the natives have a habit of not voting in the required left-wing manner at general elections and so they set about importing a new population that would, and were well advanced in that endeavour when they were thrown out of office.

As for the channel, assuming for a moment in a giant leap of the imagination that the popular myth of atmospheric warming caused by increased atmospheric carbon rather than the other way round is true, the English Channel will become deeper and wider as sea levels rise. There will be no question of filling it in.

' Diverting it round the other side' is intriquing. Round the other side of what, exactly? The Atlantic Ocean isn't a river. It differs in a number of key respects, the fact of it covering two thirds of the Earth's surface being the one that concerns us chiefly. What do you propose, some sort of sluice gate in the Western Approaches? Then there is the phenomena of what Joyce called 'the democratic universality of water in always seeking its own level'. The ocean doesn't flow through the land travelling from one place to another under the agency of gravity, it is omnidirectional. The land rises out of the ocean. Diverting it will be tricky. Try Googling King Canute to get an idea of what you're up against. Best of luck.

Incidently, it is the English Channel because straits, sounds, channels and arms of sea are always named after the smaller of the land masses that bound them. Hence the Irish Sea, The Straits of Gibralter, The Tasman Sea, The Sound of Mull and the Sea of Japan etc. You get the idea.

Edited by Gimlet

I think it's a great idea -- Just imagine digging a huge canal 20 mile wide from Clacton to Stevenage to Luton to High Wycombe to Reading to Basinstoke to brighton - dumping all spoils into sea to join those bit's to France just think how different UK will become - Put Gov in Birmingham where common sense prevails - house prices and wages would be realistic and perhaps this counrty would be able to get back on it's feet again without all the parasitic influence from south east destroying rest of UK. :good: :good: -- best of all France could have Old Boris :sad1:

dave :hmm: :hmm:

I think it's a great idea -- Just imagine digging a huge canal 20 mile wide from Clacton to Stevenage to Luton to High Wycombe to Reading to Basinstoke to brighton - dumping all spoils into sea to join those bit's to France just think how different UK will become - Put Gov in Birmingham where common sense prevails - house prices and wages would be realistic and perhaps this counrty would be able to get back on it's feet again without all the parasitic influence from south east destroying rest of UK. :good: :good: -- best of all France could have Old Boris :sad1:

dave :hmm: :hmm:

But if you think about the enormity of the silly idea, you'd then realise you're going to need to dig up several country's about a mile deep to get enough material to fill the English Channel, and that would leave some big holes that will fill up with water. Dumb idea or what. :shifty:

But if you think about the enormity of the silly idea, you'd then realise you're going to need to dig up several country's about a mile deep to get enough material to fill the English Channel, and that would leave some big holes that will fill up with water. Dumb idea or what. :shifty:

Yes ? big hole filled with water isolating souf east - sounds good to me -- The UK could start afresh.

dave

If you don't like it why not just move then those of us who are happy with the way things are can just get on with life?

And if we bowed to every crackpot idea there'd be nothing left. I wasn't advocating people were forced out because they didn't like the weather.

The OP was about the weather.

The OP was about the weather.

It was also about joining UK to Europe and stereotyping the nations opinion of it self. There's not much can be done about the weather but at the moment I still have a right to defend my nationality and will continue to do so