I hate attending funerals, but this one was different!

Frenchieboy

I don't enjoy attending funerals as I find that I usually come home from them feeling depressed and upset but I had to attend one yesterday that was completely different, so much so that I left the funeral feeling quite uplifted!

I went to say my final farewell to Alan Marshall, a long standing member of our gun club, the founder of Towers Of Rochdale and a man that I had the real pleasure of knowing and talking with about all kinds of "country matters"! Alan was a true gentleman, so ucch so that I can not recall one single instance when I ever heard him use a single swear word or speak unkindly about anyone. His knowledge of the countryside was amazing and days gone by he wrote for several "country type magazines".

Alan was laid to rest in a corner of his farm with an open air service attended by a great many friends from all walks of life, such was Alan's popularity.

The service was not like any funeral that I have attended before and was not made up of all of the usual hymns and prayers that seem to dominate many funerals. There was an address by the Reverend Trish Tidy who read a poem by Pam Ayres about not wanting to be burried in a dusty old church grave yard but rather wanting to be laid to rest amongst the trees and fields and being at one with nature. This was followed by a Eulogy by Anne Metcalfe.

The ground where Alan was laid to rest was then blessed and then Alan was lowered into his final resting place to the sound of the hunting horn from the Colne Valley Beagles followed by a shotgun salute from Chadderton Rifle and Pistol Club.

I didn't attend the "Celebration of Alan's Life" as it was being held in a Masonic hall which would have meant driving after a couple of drinks (Something that I will not do under any circumstances) but I did raise a glass to Alan later last night.

I have put this post up as a mark of respect and my owm "Salute" to a true country gentleman who will me sadly missed by s great many people from all walks of life. Alan's passing will leave a big hole in the lives of many people, especially his Family who my thoughts go out to, and I don't mind admitting that I have just shed a couple of tears as I remember Alan for the good friend that he was to so many!

Farewell Alan, may God bless and keep you always!

Rest in peace my friend, it has been a true pleasure and priveledge to have known you, if I could ever be half the man that you were I could be proud of myself!

I've just found a copy of the poem by Pam Ayres. It is called "Woodland Burial". To me as a bit of a "Country Lad" the words are so meaningful.

Woodland Burial - By Pam Ayres.

Don’t lay me in some gloomy churchyard shaded by a wall

Where the dust of ancient bones has spread a dryness over all,

Lay me in some leafy loam where, sheltered from the cold

Little seeds investigate and tender leaves unfold.

There kindly and affectionately, plant a native tree

To grow resplendent before God and hold some part of me.

The roots will not disturb me as they wend their peaceful way

To build the fine and bountiful, from closure and decay.

To seek their small requirements so that when their work is done

I’ll be tall and standing strongly in the beauty of the sun.

Frenchieboy - I attended the funeral of Graham Stephens, a couple of months ago. He ran the Gundeals forum, also the auction site, plus Ruby Sights, Astraparts UK and umpteen others. He was also an RFD and top bloke.

Funerals are traditionally solemn affairs, but Graham had one of the later versions. Among the tears, I have to say that I haven't laughed so much in a long time. A number of friends paid tribute to Graham with superb anecdotes - when they related them - I could hear Graham saying the words. In a funny sort of way, I enjoyed the service - despite the reason for being there.

It never seems to be the scrotes who pass away - always the good people.

Frenchieboy - I attended the funeral of Graham Stephens, a couple of months ago. He ran the Gundeals forum, also the auction site, plus Ruby Sights, Astraparts UK and umpteen others. He was also an RFD and top bloke.

Funerals are traditionally solemn affairs, but Graham had one of the later versions. Among the tears, I have to say that I haven't laughed so much in a long time. A number of friends paid tribute to Graham with superb anecdotes - when they related them - I could hear Graham saying the words. In a funny sort of way, I enjoyed the service - despite the reason for being there.

It never seems to be the scrotes who pass away - always the good people.

your last sentence sums it up.

Liked the poem very much.I think people who are country people through and through,have a more realistic grasp on life,and therefore death,and as sad as these occassions are,it's usually a celebration of the life lived,rather than the death,which is emphasised.When all's said and done,and with the utmost respect,it's just life.

Any funeral should be a celebration of life and as joyful as possible. The Humanists do this rather well. As Dr Seuss once said, "don't cry because it is over, smile because it happened" Sounds like a lovely do, Frenchie. I don't do religion myself but a hole in a nice corner of a field, a 21 shotgun salute and a decent pee-up afterwards would suit me lovely.

I was at the main farm I shoot on last night and watched the sunset going down along the valley. On the way back to the car I spoke to the owners and asked if when I die my ashes can be scattered at this particular part of the farm I was informed that would not be a problem but just to get it cleared by my family.

I cannot think of a better place than this as my final resting place a nice sunset, a farm I enjoy shooting which has a nice view down the valley of the river I have fished in as man and boy.

Sam