rim fire or air rifle

assasin

Hi Guys.

I'm interested in upgrading from 12ft lbs to my fac. I know there's a lot legislation that covers this and rightly so.

How does a begginer like me even get started?

The rifle range that I'm a member of does have facilities for rim fire and fac air rifles, but are not able to assist me in obtaining my licence from new - I believe this is due to fac registration or possibley lack of appropriate facilities.

I'd appreciate any advise, especially any one near to the Worthing area who may belong to a club that can help.

i have never had an fac pcp but have often considered it. i have a Remington 541-T 5-Shot .22 LR RF

which was a gift from my ossy cousin, i find it hard to get shooting permission for this on land around here but have no problem with air rifles. i now keep the Remy at my old chaps house because that is nearer land with permission. unfortunatly this is over 100 miles away from me so the old ****** gets most of the fun out of it. :angry:

I've never had a proper rifle as my own at the moment, but I must say Its definately gotta be easier to get permission for an air rifle. At my recent permission, one of the landowners thought I had a proper rifle and was rather worried, but when they saw it was an air rifle they were more than happy for me to be there =). I'm not saying its necessarily hard to get land for a proper rim fire, but I think its much easier to get permission for an air rifle. That said, if I could get a RF and a good permission I wouldn't say no =D

-Andrew

i have both, air rifle is much safer taking shoots up trees than a rim fire. i know its probably just the way you have written it but, your not suggesting its ever safe at all to shoot a rim fire above you into trees are you?

And even with the best sound mods and subs they are not as quiet as a FAC PCP air rifle. out of interest what rim fire/mod and fac air/mod combo's have you got? with a sako mod my .22lr is a **** load quieter than any fac airgun i have heard

not having a go at you so i hope it doesn't come across that way

MH

Assasin, get yoiurself up to Ford & Yapton Rifle Club, I was chatting to SL the other day and we looked them up. 100m range for .22LR and other ranges for FAC Air etc. I'm sure they will be more than accomodating and will have alot of advice for you. In addition you will be able to (possibly) to try out a wide variety of rifles. :angry:

I'm not sure I would upgrade a 12ft/lb rifle to FAC but would consider other options like purchasing a second hand FAC Airgun kit or a new CZ-452 Rimmy.

For your application you will need sufficient land, 2 referees and a gun safe. Im not sure which FEO covers your area, but they are always happy to help. Get on to the Sussex Police website and contact your FEO for help and advice.

Assasin, get yoiurself up to Ford & Yapton Rifle Club, I was chatting to SL the other day and we looked them up. 100m range for .22LR and other ranges for FAC Air etc. I'm sure they will be more than accomodating and will have alot of advice for you. In addition you will be able to (possibly) to try out a wide variety of rifles. :angry:

I'm not sure I would upgrade a 12ft/lb rifle to FAC but would consider other options like purchasing a second hand FAC Airgun kit or a new CZ-452 Rimmy.

For your application you will need sufficient land, 2 referees and a gun safe. Im not sure which FEO covers your area, but they are always happy to help. Get on to the Sussex Police website and contact your FEO for help and advice.

Thanks for that, but already a member of Ford and Yapton Rifle Club. When I spoke to them, I was advised that they would not be unable to help me obtain my FAC. I got the impression that they are not primarily an FAC club and that I would have to join a club more recognised in that quarter. I think it may be with regard to the area that I'd be shooting in not being sufficient to obtain the license.

It would seem to me that I must first get permission to shoot on land that meets with the regulations and then possibley the club will be able to help me with the rest.

What you may want to consider is that when you get your FAC, any rifles on it can only be used on land that is deemed suitable by the Chief of Police. You cant just use them anywhere, unless you have an open ticket.

Start knocking on a few doors and get some suitable land for vermin shooting. It will put you in good stead with your FEO and probably won't need a club at all.

i have both, air rifle is much safer taking shoots up trees than a rim fire. i know its probably just the way you have written it but, your not suggesting its ever safe at all to shoot a rim fire above you into trees are you? sorry that has come across wrong there is no way i would shoot a Rf into a tree.... hense the airifle is used all the time no exceptions.

And even with the best sound mods and subs they are not as quiet as a FAC PCP air rifle. out of interest what rim fire/mod and fac air/mod combo's have you got? with a sako mod my .22lr is a **** load quieter than any fac airgun i have heard i have a sako varmint with a SAK modarator its quiet but i feel with winny subs the impact of the round is very noisey compaire to my FAC rapid mk 2 with ripley sound mod on. actual noise form the rifles i would still goes marginal to the rapid........ i might test it out with a sound meter. watch this space

hope this clears up my badly worded reply

not having a go at you so i hope it doesn't come across that way

MH

i have a sako varmint with a SAK modarator its quiet but i feel with winny subs the impact of the round is very noisey compaire to my FAC rapid mk 2 with ripley sound mod on. actual noise form the rifles i would still goes marginal to the rapid........ i might test it out with a sound meter. watch this space

i agree the impact of the round is much quieter with fac air, but go 45deg and 20yds in front and listen to the muzzle report though. most of the rimmies noise is the firing pin imo.

would be cool to see the results of different mods with a sound meter :good:

i have a sako varmint with a SAK modarator its quiet but i feel with winny subs the impact of the round is very noisey compaire to my FAC rapid mk 2 with ripley sound mod on. actual noise form the rifles i would still goes marginal to the rapid........ i might test it out with a sound meter. watch this space

i agree the impact of the round is much quieter with fac air, but go 45deg and 20yds in front and listen to the muzzle report though. most of the rimmies noise is the firing pin imo.

would be cool to see the results of different mods with a sound meter ;)

going down the range next week so will take all the toys out and test including the.308.... i feel that will break 90db(A)

Thanks for that, but already a member of Ford and Yapton Rifle Club. When I spoke to them, I was advised that they would not be unable to help me obtain my FAC. I got the impression that they are not primarily an FAC club and that I would have to join a club more recognised in that quarter. I think it may be with regard to the area that I'd be shooting in not being sufficient to obtain the license.

It would seem to me that I must first get permission to shoot on land that meets with the regulations and then possibley the club will be able to help me with the rest.

I have to say that a club that is rated FAC for rim fires, NOT allowing a member to upgrade or unwilling to help in the members application for an FAC, it soudns liek they dont feel you would be the best applicant for the FAC.

To apply for an FAC yo0u must either belong to a club (which you do) and have attended 12 weeks (i think), or have land that is FAC passed.

Like i said a club that is unwilling to aid you, there has to be issues there somewhere, as members are the way they can ensure people are able to shoot and enjoy thier hobbies, clubs are there to be used.

ROB :good:

assasin, Im glad you have asked the Question because Im having the same thaughts, B)

I have got AAS410 at standard 12ftlb witch is great for shooting the bunnies at close range. but getting in close range is not allways possible. and occasionally I get the chance to shoot a fox or 2, (my only option is with my shot gun at the moment) :lol:

so Im also considering applying for a FAC, but like you Im a bit unsure how to go about it, or the best way to aproach it, :good:

also what gun-caliber would you chaps recommend for shooting rabbits and the occasional fox,?

Ive been told that FAC air rifels and rims are cheaper than most multi shot standard pcp guns.?

and would you say that it would be easier to get shooting permission for a FAC air rifle than it would for a rim fire rifle.?

sorry about all the :lol:

sorry to but in on your topic assasin

kipper