You can't make an omelette - Without breaking eggs!

Frenchieboy

I had arranged for 3 of the Chadderton Rifle and Pistol Club members to join me and Ste12b for a zeroing and plinking session at the quarry that I use for zeroing my rifles. The forecast was for it to be raining this morning so things were not hopeful but even so the morning started fairly bright and dry. The lads from CRPC turned up a few minutes before the arranged time and Steve (Ste12b) turned up just a couple of minutes later. That was it, the scene was set so all that remained to do before we all headed for the quarry was to go up stairs and have a good feed on Marlene's fabulous bacon butties.

With full stomachs and in great humour we got to the quarry (About a 5 minutes drive from my place) and the lads set about putting targets out at varying ranges to zero up the different calibre rifles we had brough with us including .22LRs, a 17HMR, a .22WMR, a .22 Hornet and a few .243s! While they were putting the targets out I headed off to the poultry farm (Just a further 2 minutes drive) and picked up a tray of eggs for some "plinking fun"! Most of these eggs were placed out at around 200 yards from the firing point set in a good soft and safe backstop.

With the rifles zeroed we decided to have some fun with the eggs seeing how many we each could scramble before someone else smashed them.

The biggest surprise of the day was Steve with his .22LR - Steve was hitting them regularly at 200 yards without any problemss. I'm not sure what the rifle, scope, ammo combination was or what sort of hold over Steve was using but I am sure that he will be along and post the information on this thread before very long.

All in all a very good time was had by all (Even if it did start to rain) and we finished with a bit of clay shooting. The clay shooting was videoed but being as i have not long finished a very large and tasty Roast Chicken dinner I am going to spend some time digesting it (That means feet up in front of the telly watching whatever is on through closed eye lids) before I edit and post that video. I will be doing that later this evening - Hopefully! Until then watch this 10 minute viodeo of the fun and banter we had with our "Scrambled Egg Shoot!

I should add that at no time was any safety compromised. There was a perfectly safe backstop with no possibility of ricochets or any members of the public getting anywhere near to where we were shooting from or to, and no rifles were left loaded while unatended! While we did not have a range finder through previous experience on this quarry (With a range finder) I can assure veiwers that the range was about 200 yards give or take no more than 10 yards either way!

Edited by Frenchieboy

Cheers for the invite Pete, it was great fun. Excellent safety whist having a good time, what more could you ask for. :drinks:

What Pete has failed to add is that he won the informal clay shoot and I forgot to give him his 50p :whistling:

I was using a CZ 452 with Varmint barrel (has not needed the trigger kit), SAK moderator, Optik 4-16 sight (had to zoom out to see poi (10x)) and was using Winchester subsonics (40 grain). The hold over was approximately 50". The rifle is zeroed at 65 yards. I think if I had altered the scope it would have been better, but sadly was attempting hold over (which you will note means I am off the Mil dots), so any slight variation was my fault and not that of the rifle/ammo combination.

Thanks again :yes:

Ste

At last here's a few short clips of the fun, banter and barracking we had with the clays after the egg shoot!

Please note: Before anyone says anything about the ranges to the machinery please bare in mind that the camcorder tends to take distances right out of perspective. To help to put this into context the dozer you see on top to the hill while the guns are shooting at the first of the doubles is about 250 yards away from the firing point. All 5 of us are experienced shooters and we take our safety issues very seriously!

shame you have to put a disclaimer on it F.B.

so many nobs eh?

Yep, you're right there John, there's always one! When all is said and done we should know by now that this forum is full of "experts". :hmm:

Let's see if an explanation is forthcomming, it should make for interesting reading..

The common sense one ! i've seen it done so many times cuts, bruises and breaks.

So as long as you load it with your left hand/arm everything is Ok then? :hmm: :hmm: :hmm: Hmmmmm, that's interesting.

If you have seen it done so many times I don't think I'll bother shooting with you as you sound very accident prone with all of those cuts, bruises and breaks.

Edited to correct a minor spelling mistake. I don;t want the spelling and grammar police after me as well as H&S!

Edited by Frenchieboy

before you get too upset frenchie try it and see which one means were the trap to go off that you couldn't get your hand / wrist out of the way, using your left hand means its only fingers over the arm. Right handed it stands to catch you badly, sometimes advice on here is iffy this is just friendly advice that actually could save you some pain.

before you get too upset frenchie try it and see which one means were the trap to go off that you couldn't get your hand / wrist out of the way, using your left hand means its only fingers over the arm. Right handed it stands to catch you badly, sometimes advice on here is iffy this is just friendly advice that actually could save you some pain.

correct !

enjoy your shooting gentleman and keep safe.

I'm not getting upset al4x, in fact it is quite the opposite!

I actually find it quite amusing the way that some replies pop up out of the blue!

P.S. In future I will make sure that the trap is only loaded with the left hand so that if it does go aff "accidentally" then it is only going to rip the loaders fingers off!

Edited by Frenchieboy

I assume that's a dig at me for daring to question your "Plinking with the 9.3" video. Try and look at it with un-prejudiced eyes and you'll see my point.

the point i you were NOT there so can not possibly take everything into account, so go back to your arm chair and play with your laptop.

I have been shooting full bore for 27 years nearly every day without an inccident, and nearly every day with 2 clients a day using mine or their weapon for the last 7 years again without inccident.

All those rounds have gone down range safely, thats alot of lead.

An expert i don't claim to be but more experienced then most i am.

Look at the video from where the bullets hit their targets, sand heaps and concrete slabs, with a high velocity expanding bullet.

If you knew anything, my remark about a .22lr been more dangerous would be obvious, anyone who has used a subsonic lead round will know how they are the most prone to bounce of any bullet(almost). Yet my 22250 has fired 2-3,000 rounds, is a .22 but a 50gr HP @ 3780fps NEVER bounces it simply destroys itself on whatever it hits. Both are .22 rounds but speed is the key.

This is my last word on the subject, none of the bullets left the heap and no harm was done.

This is my last word on the subject, none of the bullets left the heap and no harm was done.

If you want to end it why write:

shame you have to put a disclaimer on it F.B.

so many nobs eh?

And if you don't like comments why post the video ? You can huff and bluff as much as you want, it doesn't bother me, but when you get a minute look at the last shot on your video - the one where the shot is within inches of the almost horizontal concrete block - and tell me how that doesn't look unsafe from the point of view of someone watching the video.