Wheat stubble pigeons

tomhw100

3f176aaf.jpg

Picked my mate tom up yesterday morning at about 7.30 and we headed to our local permission in hanningfield. The farmer has really got stuck into the wheat now and most of it is down so I can pretty much drive everywhere in the berlingo! We had a drive round the whole farm (about 850 acres) whith the daystates and managed a squirrel,3 magpies and a crow(didn't take a picture of them though as I couldnt be bothered to have them in the van stinking all day).

We kept an eye on two of the wheat fields-there was a few birds about but the heat and the lack of wind was keeping them In the trees. One of the fields has approximately 10 tones of wheat seed spread over it as the combine wasn't filtering it properly when they was cutting! (The farmer worked out how much he lost) it was one of the contractors apparently.

Anyhoo the pigeons don't seem to of found said field yet so watch this space!...we ended up watching a field to about 2ish and decided to set up on a whim we couldn't set up on the line we see so we made a hide just off it,as soon as we got in the wind died off and the temperature soared it was so muggy,I was glad i decided to dig out my old German flectarn combats as they're lighter than my water proof realtree trousers...i did consider sitting there in my pants but I thought it might be a bit weird,sitting next to my mate! Lol

The birds were really slow and there was some times 30 mins going by without seeing a bird....in the end the tally was 51 pigeons (45 picked, 6 lost in the field behind and in the bottom of a ditch either side of us) and two crows for 99 shots We had some good shots as the birds weren't really decoying a few did but most was skirting round the outside of the pattern.we packed up at 6.30 so not to bad for four hours.

Edited by tomhw100