Illuminated ret worth it or not

johnny

Iam in the Market for a new scope on my 22250 and fancy a ziess durlyt and the differance in price between illuminated and not seems a lot. I have an illuminated scope on my 17 and 22 and never use the illuminated ret. What do the pw massive think.

Cheers John

I have 2 Duralyts. The first not illuminated, the second is. I can't see an advantage for bunnies that are lamped but for deer or fox then you will get shots off you couldn't otherwise. I can see the dot at night long after I can see the cross intersection.

Depends on the type, I have a Hawke nite-eye and the reticle...reticule....ret...ah sod it - the cross.... is too chunky and bright but as alex said the 60 one and others with the small dot would be the ones to go for, I always forget to switch them off and they run out of batteries... :blush:

Depends on the type, I have a Hawke nite-eye and the reticle...reticule....ret...ah sod it - the cross.... is too chunky and bright but as alex said the 60 one and others with the small dot would be the ones to go for, I always forget to switch them off and they run out of batteries... :blush:

+1 allways forget to turn it off ;)

didnt need it under the lamp. but if he's wanting to shoot in low light he will benefit from the ir

You'll find you can take shots far faster under the lamp with it switched on. Gives far better placement especially if you have to take one moving

in that case I'd definitley say go for the illuminated one, I was struggling like hell with a z6 just seemed to loose the cross hairs, with the illumination its impossible. I had a roe buck the other day very close but looking into a very dark wood, the red dot just makes it very straight forward. Under the lamp once you are on a fox you are on a dark background and a very small dot just makes it childsplay. I think fister is surprised about recomending the ret to someone who doesn't turn it on, could have saved the money with the standard version. Strange as once you've had the illumination you don't normally either buy a scope without or not use it

Iam in the Market for a new scope on my 22250 and fancy a ziess durlyt and the differance in price between illuminated and not seems a lot. I have an illuminated scope on my 17 and 22 and never use the illuminated ret. What do the pw massive think.

Cheers John

I dont think its worthwhile to pay for illuminated when you choose the correct reticule it is not generally required for low light hunting. Cheap scopes often come with poor illumination systems as in the eyes of many newbies its a big plus. It might be good to have a central dot for shooting driven Boar etc under shadow of the canopy but it aint something i do personally and aint something i should expect you will be doing with a 22-250!