thoughts on moderated .410

MirokuMK70

I see a lot of threads on here asking "how quiet" they are, and a lot of answers

saying "quiet as a springer" "not as quiet as moderated .22lr", "depends on cartridge" etc.

I've always been interested but the replies still don't quite describe how they are, and i've

never heard one fired to draw my own conclusions until yesterday...

There was a lad at the clay ground with the 9" moderator baikal so I thought i'd stand and watch for a bit.

It was by no means 'silent' and could be heard very clearly from 30 yards away, but what

struck me was that it didn't sound anything like a gunshot. ( more of a metallic "ping") I think if you wanted one for near houses,

or to not attract anti's attention they'd be great because anyone not attuned to what they sound like

wouldn't recognise it as shooting noise...

I fetched one of his carts out of the bin later out of interest and they were Lyalvale 3" magnums,

so not subsonic, or small cartridges and I believe the fully moderated models are quieter.

If i had a permission where I thought it would be an advantage I wouldn't hesitate to buy one...

I've got a 410 with the 9" moderator. You're right. It doesn't sound like a gunshot. With 2" cartridges, it doesn't sound like a springer either as there is no "crack", just a muffled thud.

Fully modded ones are quieter, but somewhat unwieldy, which is why I went for this.

I used mine at 4.30 the other morning to dispatch a fox I had caught in a cage trap and no neighbours heard a thing.

I would imagine if it had woken them, they wouldn't be sure of what they had heard anyway.

Must admit I like the idea of these;it would be a very effective additional tool for us as we could soon build up a decent bag of bolted bunnies.But our game dealer wont accept shotgunned rabbits,so it's the ferrets or the .22 for us.Would love to take one out for a trial run though.

I have the fully moderated one and its a great bit of kit, yes you can still hear a noise but a lot more discreet even with 3 inch carts than a 12g or 20g, I use mine when around houses early morning on crows etc whens its a bit too early to start blasting away with a 12g, only thing to watch is range I only shoot out to about 20-25 yards with mine

i had the baikal fully moderated version, the 2.5" lvalle was better than the subs

the speed of shot is very slow

shoot max 30yd

noise is like a loud cranky springer......but still noisey around trees be warned

i now have 12g mossberg 500 much better gun still makes a noise but far more powerful