.22-250 trajectory

OK.

I thought that I was being polite and my question was straight forward enough but it seems that you're more into cryptic.

Consequently, see what you can come up with with this little conundrum:

Arange into a well known phrase or saying adding additional words where necessary: Much protest methinks doth.

Straight forward? Around the house more like, :hmm:

"Much protest methinks doth" Hardly. but then some say potato and some say potahto..

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So making assumptions,,,,,,,,,,, where your bullet will be is ok :hmm:

i set up my guns so i know where my bullets are at certain ranges :good:

Wildfourler .250 said he might take the odd roe but not with those rounds, so the poi will change so why guess ???

Edited by markws80

Foxes are not hard to kill. They are rather lightly structured.

Sitting behind a computer and saying you can't/shouldn't do it is no different. IMO. Holes in paper off a bench in daylight and holes in foxes off the wing mirror at night are not necessarily the same thing. So until you try you'll never know,

the main point is though until you can do the paper bit you stand less chance with the actual event. Once you've fluffed it and made a few olympic sprinters in the lamp its a bit late.

Not that its a bug bear of mine this year with shooting 2 with rifle injuries and having a hell of a year on shy ones we've got someone pot shotting them locally. Makes it far from fun the last few have been last light and 200 yard shots as thats the closest you can get to them. Lamping forget it the last one I saw was still running half a mile away

I believe you do Wildfowler a dis-service. You assume that because he asks the question he can't do the deed.

I take a more liberal POV. I have also known several novice rifle shooters that could achieve what might be asked of them at 200yds. They are not all duffers. With the right choice of calibre and rifle, which a .22-250 most certainly is, its mostly mechanics anyway.

We seem to be on the path of diminishing return.

End of

Edited by JMart

Okidoke, first of all thanks for all the replies. I'm just going to make some bullet points here...

1) just because I asked what it's likely to be at 50 and 200 doesn't mean I'll not test it at 200. But now I know that if I start at 50 I won't be that far out and wasting my time.

2) even if I hadn't practiced a lot. If I took a shot at a crow with a .22-250 at 200 yards, it's almost certainly dead or clean miss.

3) yes I knew the bullet tragectory for my roe rounds. However I'm not shooting a lot of roe currently so for the moment I am going to change. I can always go back.

I appreciate the help but quite a lot of people have definitely read into this the wrong way.

Cheers for the info :good:

And 200 isn't exactly far for a .22-250 anyway so why the sweat? :lol:

I believe you do Wildfowler a dis-service. You assume that because he asks the question he can't do the deed.

I take a more liberal POV. I have also known several novice rifle shooters that could achieve what might be asked of them at 200yds. They are not all duffers. With the right choice of calibre and rifle, which a .22-250 most certainly is, its mostly mechanics anyway.

We seem to be on the path of diminishing return.

End of

Thank you :good: I've had rifles for about 6 years,(CFs for about 5). I just thought i'd check that it was a reasonable distance to start zero at

This is why I don't risk posting write ups though :lol:

Thank you :good: I've had rifles for about 6 years,(CFs for about 5). I just thought i'd check that it was a reasonable distance to start zero at

This is why I don't risk posting write ups though :lol:

My pleasure. :D Many are all to quick to judge. :no:

And 200 isn't exactly far for a .22-250 anyway so why the sweat? :lol:

Exactly!

Atb and happy hunting

Edited by JMart

Whatever works for you is fine. Winddrift, AP and topography having all been accounted for presumably. Out to what distance do you know?

Winddrift, AP and topography will change

Out to 500yards with my 22-250 with the same round ie powder and heads (home loads) But most of my shots are 100-250 yards

Edited by markws80

We got there in the end didn't we :yahoo:

Nope! there is much missing- i feel this has been a wind up from start to finish actually no foxing rifle has ever been built that is truely point and pull up to 250 yds. Anyone who claims otherwise must pick thier conditions very carefully

Nope! there is much missing- i feel this has been a wind up from start to finish actually no foxing rifle has ever been built that is truely point and pull up to 250 yds. Anyone who claims otherwise must pick thier conditions very carefully

It wasn't a wind up on my part. But surely if your drop is only an inch or two. Say at 250 you aimed for between the eyes you are going to hit it clean in the chest?

Ps I'm being very much rule of thumb with my original question

It wasn't a wind up on my part. But surely if your drop is only an inch or two. Say at 250 you aimed for between the eyes you are going to hit it clean in the chest?

Just for the sake of it, I ran the round through Infinity Suite. You would be 1.76" at 150 yards, 1.3 at 200 and -0.21 at 250 in theory. As has now been agreed, all you need to do is to confirm that in the field.

You could also scroll down this sub-forum to 'Trajectory Problems' and see what can happen if you don't check from the lash up I made of it.

probably as long as there is no wind at all and its not sitting head up when you could miss it round the neck region.