shooting accident ?

bigsam

hi all was reading abit in the sun paper today about a "duck hunter" in aberdeen who accidentely shot himself in the face whilst resting the gun between his knees ? anyone else read this ?

cheers BS

Have not read it in any papers but I think it's a guy from my area,not sure what happened a number of rumors going around but it's a bad job.I picked up behind him on a let day last year and knew of him through the farming world

Heres the story from the P&J:

NORTH-EAST LANDLORD ON DUCK HUNT IS KILLED IN ACCIDENT WITH OWN SHOTGUN

Next Story | Previous Story | Back to list

ANDREW KELLOCK

08:50 - 05 September 2006

The owner of one of Aberdeenshire's best-known landmarks has died in a shooting accident.

Andy Ross was hit in the head at virtually point-blank range by his own shotgun, not far from his home on the slopes of Mormond Hill near Fraserburgh.

It is understood the 66 year old had propped the weapon between his feet and was searching for something in his pocket when the gun went off. It is believed shot from a cartridge struck him on the right side of the face.

It is understood he died at the scene near the top of the 750ft hill.

Mr Ross was part of an organised duck shooting party, which is also believed to have included his son, Andrew, who is thought to be in his 30s.

Last night, a long-standing friend of Mr Ross described him as a "true, old-fashioned gentleman".

Retired Fraserburgh solicitor Colin McRae said: "I'd known Andy for over 40 years and he was one of the nicest, kindest people you could meet. He was a very sharp businessman, but also a very straight one.

"In some negotiations he would be bending over backwards to make sure the other party got a good deal. I'm just totally shocked by his death. I'm going to miss him a great deal. My heart goes out to his family and everyone who was close to him."

Mr Ross was boss of Mormond Hill Ltd, which owns about 720 acres of the peak which dominates the Buchan skyline.

He and his wife, Enid, lived at a farm near Huntington in Cambridgeshire, where many of his business interests were based.

But he spent a lot of time in the north-east and built a lodge on Mormond Hill where he entertained friends and business associates.

A recent visitor to the property was Aldo Nardini, father of Scots actress Daniela.

As a young man Mr Ross was an Isle of Man TT rider for the Norton team. is work with the British motorcycle manufacturer brought him to the north-east when he was in his 20s.

He made his fortune hiring heavy machinery to contractors.

As well as a large part of Mormond Hill, he owned land at nearby Lonmay, close to the RSPB's Loch of Strathbeg reserve, where he created two duck ponds.

Mr McRae said: "He was a great conservationist. And his hobby was Shire horses.

"He brought a lot of business to the north-east and he had contacts all over the world.

"One of the schemes he had at one time was to put windmills on Mormond Hill and generate electricity, which he planned to give free to the people of Strichen.

"That was the sort of man he was, he loved to help people."

Mr Ross died on Saturday. Police are still investigating the incident, which happened around 1pm.

A spokesman said there were no suspicious circumstances and that a report was being prepared for the fiscal in Peterhead.

A post-mortem examination was carried out yesterday but the death is being treated as "a tragic accident".

Mr Ross was an experienced shooter.

One local farmer said: "Guns are dangerous things and accidents can happen. It's an awful tragedy."

The summit of Mormond Hill was home to a Nato radar station during the Cold War. It is still festooned with commercial telecommunications equipment, which overlooks the farms on its slopes. Part of the hill is now a sporting estate and the company which owns it also has forest management and equipment divisions.

Sad.

There were a couple of guys who used to use an ancient punt gun on the Holy Island mud flats. As I understand the tale, one of them was blown apart while dragging the punt up onto a beach when the damned thing went of with about 4oz of shot loaded into it. The other was killed a couple of years later when it exploded and a four inch chunk of steel struck him in the neck.

:good:

I shall think of this next time I feel inclined to climb over a gate with a loaded gun.

RIP Andy,

Its a shame that it happened and a very sad reminder to all who are going on shoots soon to practice gun safety.....

I feel for the family.... if anyone has a address etc.. we can send a card .. then I think we should....

as said .. its sad to loose a good one!!!