Budget DIY Recordable Night Vision

ace_of_hearts

That IR torch with aspheric lens will easily light up much more than 100 yards for a decent low light camera on it's own. Is that 60 yard quote as seen through the recorder on it's own - or when placed behind the dayscope?

Have you tried adjusting the day scope diopter to alter the crosshair focus for the camera?

Edited by Dave-G

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Had a bit of a breakthrough today.

Scott came round as he has the 'same' camera as me with the same lens. But we have noticed that they are not the same, so not all cameras are built equal!

He has mounted his using a scope flip cap:

http://l0PfCsIC.jpg|http://thumbsnap.com/l0PfCsIC

As you can see my camera has red lights and a 'HD' function, whereas Scotts has Blue LED's and the software is slightly different.

The zoom on the blue camera is much less than mine, and when viewed through the scope is much easier to focus

http://vtJ3y1D6.jpg|http://thumbsnap.com/vtJ3y1D6

This is where the blue LED'd camera is from so i have ordered one and will try again.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230845525680

i attached the cam to my scope and thort id share the pics with you guys this is almost the same set up as lewis as explaind above..

the pic of the sign is at 20yards

the cars about 40yards and the pub 55-60yards

between the diffrent pics there is no adjustments to the cam or scope!! :good:

this is in day light but shows the cams do work :yahoo:

post-30180-0-12384400-1353152935_thumb.jpg

post-30180-0-81722900-1353152946_thumb.jpg

i have made my ir laser run from my logan gun lamp battery, with a bit of soldering and a glue gun. the laser used 2x cr2 batterys and at around £5 each this should save my lot$ and should last a lot longer!! i can just unplug the laser and put back in to my lamp.

post-30180-0-08088000-1353788175_thumb.jpg

Edited by Scottoj18

hi ace how have you fitted the lens to your new camera, tried to unscrew the lens on mine today and snapped the plastic threads that hold it to the plate, could you put a picture up. i think it was glued in place. any tips?how has your friend fitted it? could i just mount the new lens inplace with pipe so its held over the sensor inside?

thanks in advance.

hi ace how have you fitted the lens to your new camera, tried to unscrew the lens on mine today and snapped the plastic threads that hold it to the plate, could you put a picture up. i think it was glued in place. any tips?how has your friend fitted it? could i just mount the new lens inplace with pipe so its held over the sensor inside?

thanks in advance.

hi, the lens is screwed on infrount of the sensor, with a dab of super glue. you can file some off first then unscrew the lense with a pair of long pliers. if you have snaped the threads this could b a problem can you post sum pic's and then i can see if it would b ok or a way i can help fix it..

scott

I might be missing something, but ive got the camera and the replacement lens but how do i attach the replacement lens?? I took the camera apart and though it would fit the same way but I dont quite see how it would work?? thanks for the assistance, is it possible to get a picture of the inside of the camera with the replacement lens fitted??

Ace will b posting sum how to pics very soon.. The old lens screws in to place and is held by superglue if you work away the super glue as much as u can and unscrew the lens. u can replace with the new one by screwing. You have to cut back the caseing of the camera to fit the new lens.. We haven't done a proper shooting test with the setup yet. Ounces we know it works we will post a full how to with pics :D

As requested :)

YbUVasmx.jpg

Scott and I went out Wednesday night to try out the cameras and got some interesting footage to upload (I will get it edited soon). The main problem with my setup is the lack of IR thrown out by the 1W torch LED, meaning i only had an effective range of around 30m. I also had trouble with the focus again but I should get some time this weekdend to fiddle with distances and focus adjustments to improve this.

Edited by ace_of_hearts