Am I getting too much?

JDog

I have had a fair amount of shooting over the last few weeks ever since the first cereal crops were harvested. One would have thought that with so much practice my shooting would be spot on but infact I feel as if I am beginning to shoot poorly.

I am never one for cartridge averages as I shoot at anything within range whether it decoys or not but this afternoon I just could not connect with relatively easy birds.

Does this mean that because I have had plenty of shooting I am becoming complacent? Have others had a similar experience?

its impossible to get too much !

Yes you could be getting complacent , for some reason if I have a bad spell it is usually the easier birds that get to live another day , those hovering over the decoys or magnet , I think the trouble is that you tend to stop swinging and just point .

its impossible to get too much !

Yes you could be getting complacent , for some reason if I have a bad spell it is usually the easier birds that get to live another day , those hovering over the decoys or magnet , I think the trouble is that you tend to stop swinging and just point .

You could be right about the swinging stopping. The difficult birds, the ones coming back down the flight line from behind me (I was in a bale hide) 40m up or wide of me I connected with, the ones coming straight into the pattern I often missed.

When you shoot at a fast bird crossing you shoot instinctively and hit the bird. When you follow a gliding or hovering bird you often point and miss. You've seen me quote this before but it works for me on slow or decoy birds, Wait and then Move,Mount and Shoot.

I had the same thing recently, went through a spell of hitting nothing but am now back on track with the move, mount, shoot. Trying to do pull through or maintained lead meant I was overthinking it and missing because of it.