Fox Tail help

Highbird70

I'm planning it or next fox that I shoot, I remember when little I used to salt rabbit skins...but they turn as stiff as wood, when I get a fox i will debone the tail..I think it should come out easily...but I don't realt know how to preserve it, like the ones that you see on certain hats...nice and fluffy ...lol

Ty

Mark

Chuck my in my car window lol. Yeah they go stiff and yeah they probably stink but hey its a great talking point lol.

Got a fantastic one tonight will have a go at preserving this one properly is a beauty, how quickly do you have to get it into the solution.

Just for the record for those who have never removed a tail, cut around the base just through the skin. Make a slip knot out of bailing twin slip down to the cut and pull will be difficult to start then slip right off the bone.

Karpman

just buy a tanning kit from snowdonia taxerdy supplys,mix up the soulution leave the tail in it for a couple of days dry it out ,work the tail then to stop it going stiff job dun.the mix will do quite a few tails.or you can try john hallet taxidermy supples.hes a good guy aswell.

Totally agree with the above. I've done many tails/rabbits skins/fox furs with the solution, and it's simple. On average, fox tails take about 3 days to complete, and the finish is excellent.

• 2 weeks later...

never hd any luck with meths, fur has always fell out within 12 months, just done one with salt waiting to see now, will try the tanning kit on the next one.

The tanning kit I use from Snowdonia Taxidermy Supplies is very easy to use, and lasts a hell of a long time. Well worth the price, and it does an excellent job.

Fox tails/Rabbit fur are usually left in the liquid for approx 3 days max' and then washed in warm water and left to dry. Perfect results everytime if used correctly, and the fur is soft, with a leather feel to the inside.

• 1 month later...

All I did was wash it with water and fill it up with salt (use a drinking straw to get it all the way down) and left it for a couple of months. It's still got most of the salt in it but as its fixed to a piece of oak and hung on the wall it doesn't matter that its stiff. It doesn't smell at all and isn't greasy.

I gave it a brush to get the salt crystals and knots out of the fur and am pretty pleased with it.

You can use salt, meth's, white spirit and other 'chemical's' to try and cure a fox tail, but why bother with all the trouble of getting salt in (and washing it out) or using meth's which I believe is not cheap, when you can make 2 gallons of tanning liquid for under £20, which will last you a hell of a long time. Put the tail in a small tub, cover with tanning fluid for 2-3 days, wash it out and it's done!