Bad groups advice

Peskyfoxs

around 100grn, tried 4 differnt types but would the bullet weight make that much differnce? Maybe not group well but all over the place ?

Shooting 100gn bullets in a 1 in 10 .243 is right at the extreme end of viability - Some 100gn bullets will work, some .243 rifles will handle them, many will not. A lot depends on the length of the bullet and how fast you are pushing them along.

If the bullet is too heavy or slow for the rate of twist it will not stabilise - ie. shotgun style groups.

Here's a simple calculator to give you a guide to the heaviest bullets that you can get away with.

http://kwk.us/twist.html

I would certainly try lighter bullets before anything else.

Gosh there is some funny replies comming in on this one, get it into the hands of someone who realy knows or just return it to were you bought it and get them onto it. Truth is it needs to be proven not to shoot in the hands of a competant and experianced shot. Then its a simple series of elimination

Gosh there is some funny replies comming in on this one, get it into the hands of someone who realy knows or just return it to were you bought it and get them onto it. Truth is it needs to be proven not to shoot in the hands of a competant and experianced shot. Then its a simple series of elimination

I agree - ask an experience shooter at the range to have a go with the rifle. I'm not saying you are doing anything wrong but if you are new to centre fire rifles it is worth eliminating yourself from the list of variables. it cold save you alot of time and money.

dont clean the barrel ,leave it for about 100 /200 rounds , :good:

At which point it wont have improved one bit!, but any riflesmith who reports on it for the dealer will say the darn thing was coppered up to the armpits and filthy- hence it wouldn't shoot! If i could not obtain a decent group with it and all screw tentions (especially the action screws) lug contact scope mounting etc was checked i should actually give it a major clean and de-copper it till i couln't get a blue patch out of it, before trying again. Then and only then i should try a proven scope- i bet its sorted before that though

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I think I was in the range with you one day, I have the same gun and mine fires 90gn prvi ok 1.5inch groups at best, I did use 57gn hornady and they were ok too. I have some remington, winchesters and hornady all at different weights that u can try if you want.

The hogue stock I have is a little flexable even when it looks free floating. I notices that on bags and on the bipod the barrell moved and touched the stock with little pressure. If you grab the barrel you will find you can touch the barrel on the side of the rubber stock, I just took the barrel off and trimmed the area with a stanley knife and it improved my accuracy. probably 2mm at most on each side towards the forend.

The picatnny rail I also found loosens! not obviously until i replaced the scope. I tightened this and changed the scope to a s/h s&b 8x56, i didnt like the nikko that I got with mine. The rifle performs alot better now but unfortunately howa arnt the most accurate guns on the market. It serves its purpose with my neeeds tho.

PM me if you would like any help!!

Hi, I think I was in the range with you one day, I have the same gun and mine fires 90gn prvi ok 1.5inch groups at best, I did use 57gn hornady and they were ok too. I have some remington, winchesters and hornady all at different weights that u can try if you want.

The hogue stock I have is a little flexable even when it looks free floating. I notices that on bags and on the bipod the barrell moved and touched the stock with little pressure. If you grab the barrel you will find you can touch the barrel on the side of the rubber stock, I just took the barrel off and trimmed the area with a stanley knife and it improved my accuracy. probably 2mm at most on each side towards the forend.

The picatnny rail I also found loosens! not obviously until i replaced the scope. I tightened this and changed the scope to a s/h s&b 8x56, i didnt like the nikko that I got with mine. The rifle performs alot better now but unfortunately howa arnt the most accurate guns on the market. It serves its purpose with my neeeds tho.

PM me if you would like any help!!

I had the same problem with my hogue would shoot ok if I made sure it was perfectly straight on the bipod, if I don't and it was leaning slightly the barrell touches the stock groups would be spaced on the board to save me the problem I bought a boyds stock no problems since

The first thing you should be doing is to get somebody else to shoot for a group with it . This is to eleminate pilot error . Every time I have had a problem with shooting a group with my rifles I have turned them over to my shooting buddy and he has returned a good group everytime . If its not pilot error then the skys the limit .

Harnser .

Problem solved !!!!

Tried some Norma 58 grains

First this is what I was getting : Privi 100grains and Gecko and Sako all about same

Picture003.jpg 2 lots of 3 shots

Norma 58 Grains first 3 shots

Picture002.jpg

and then 5 shots

Picture001.jpg

all at 100 Yards at range, all shots on bipod not bags

Much more of a happy bunny now :drool:

really those groups aren't that bad considering they are 100 grain bullets and assuming you are going for deer then most would find them acceptable. Obviously very tiny groups are great to look at but in practical terms some of the error is often the nut behind the trigger and things like wind and even thick cross hairs can give that size groups. I certainly wouldn't dismiss the 100's for deer use based on those groups and indeed if you've done DSC1 I'd bet you've seen larger groups than that posted ;)

really those groups aren't that bad considering they are 100 grain bullets and assuming you are going for deer then most would find them acceptable. Obviously very tiny groups are great to look at but in practical terms some of the error is often the nut behind the trigger and things like wind and even thick cross hairs can give that size groups. I certainly wouldn't dismiss the 100's for deer use based on those groups and indeed if you've done DSC1 I'd bet you've seen larger groups than that posted ;)

The 100 groups are the best I have had out of it so far (over 120 rounds used) ... the others have been anything from 4 inches right up to 6-7 inch groups which at fox sized targets is a big variation. .

Edited by Peskyfoxs

I tried 4 brands of the larger grain from 105 down to 90 without good results, going to try some 75 if I can get hold of some and at this rate I might have to think of reloading if its going to be £30 a box ammo it likes.

I'm only after fox at the mo so the 100 grain deer problem I can worry about later