any mechanics

mikky

After seeing cam chain issues in the new vauxhall engines I can tell you your chain is a mystery. I had one needing done at 15.000 and again at 37.000 I think all vauxhall engines post 2001 are shyite. They made a reasonable engine in the 8 valve single cam but once the 16v ecotec junk started they went downhill in my eyes. Then they introduced lighter alloys and shorter pistons and soft valve guides as well as changing to soft chains. Top end rattles in a LOAD of vauxhalls on the roads now due to chain rattle or on most worn valve guides. I got shot of my Agila after spending over £1200 on trying to sort the engine. New lifters new followers new chain etc etc. I went back to a Cavalier 8 valve and am much happier.

Mikky,

If its a chain it shouldnt need changing unless its got loads of miles

Are you changing because you think its a belt and has reached the point the manual says it needs changing?

Generally true,but Vauxhall have noted cam chain problems on some engines to the point of recall

http://www.corsa-c.c...ll-Timing-Chain .Personally I have changed several chains on 1.2 Corsas but the last was on a 55 plate 1.4 Meriva (Z14XEP engine same as some Astras).Autodata gives labour time of 4.3 hrs but it is possible in much less.Worn chain noise is unmistakeable(at least to a mechanic).AFAIK chain tensioner was later modified to try to cure problem.

For those who don't no the noise http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpsIoCYB_1o

:shaun:

"They made a reasonable engine in the 8 valve single cam but once the 16v ecotec junk started they went downhill in my eyes."

Lord Geordie: You could not have put my thoughts to words any better,when I first started as a mechanic I liked Vauxhall mechanicals(generally although HA Viva gearbox needle rollers were a good earner) if not their bodywork but the later cars can be money pits.Corsas especially(maybe driving style?):timing chains,broken/slipped camshafts,CV boots,handbrake cables etc. giving grief at lowish mileages