3 choices of rifle which one is the best all-rounder??

jam1e

Dekers

Oh how I chuckled at your choice and use of the word "balanced"

Note the dictionary definition......."being in harmonious or proper arrangement" ..........paying particular attention to the use of the word harmonious :wub:

I'll give you that, but no mention of harmonious in my dictionary :good:

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice one fella - you'll probably need two trigger kits 1 for the .22 & 1 for the Hmr - it makes a world of difference to them.

Hope you find a load that shoots well through your .204 - I'd recommend 32gn Hornadys any day !!

ATB V8 90

Cheers V8.

I've also a ordered a swift knightingale mod for the .204. But the dealer states the mod needs "proofing with the rifle". No idea if thats right but i pick it up in 2 weeks. No reason to disbelieve him as he has a very good reputation. Also along with some 32gn Hornadys, and some 30gn Hornadys, (but the 30's may be another brand. I forget)

I recall from my last fac some years ago that i did a diy trigger job on the rimfires, using a variety of springs and some brass tubing? I forget which brand though. Is there one you would recommend??

thats pedantics Dekers, he had a need but wanted that caliber to fulfill it, simple enough for most to understand. The choice to want was between anything in 20 or 22cal he wanted a 204 can't really see why that bit needs to be pulled apart.

Very nicely put al4x!

Thankyou! :good:

I used the Yodave kits off the bay - think they're around £12.00 posted - you could do both with 1 kit if you wanted or use an identical spring from each - that's up to you - just had a look on Eblag & he doesn't have any listed at the min - he has his own website though where you can order direct - just google Yodave

My .204 is a Howa varmint with the laminated stock. I've had it several years now and I'm extremely pleased with it, superbly accurate with 32gr factory ammo. If I could only have one rifle/caliber this would be the one.

In other calibers I've got Remington and Tikka and can say, hand on heart, that the Howa is equal to those.

At the end of the day they will all shoot, so chose the one that feels and looks right to you but more importantly don't be put off by the nay sayers who will tel you to get a common chav .222/.223. Stick to your guns and get a .204, you won't be disappointed.

no there are two off us that are happy with our 204in the uk i all so have a howa varmint but reload its just a out and out foxing rifle i,m not one for takeing long shots but it,s there if you need to +1" at 100 bang on at 200 3" drop at 300 not that i do a lot of shooting at 300 mts

and there you have the difference, your foxes seem to give you the time to faff about range finding (in the dark we find them useless) looking at charts calculating this and that and the other ********.

Back in the real world you really need to be reasonably quick most of the time and especially lamping you don't get the chance to **** about, the simple facts here are a fast flat shooting round means usually if you can see it you can shoot at it just point and bang. Most you won't need the range but just occasionally especially this time of year you get to take shots you wouldn't usually on lamp shy foxes that usually sit and look very quickly at the edge of lamp range. I've used a couple of 204's and its definitely interesting to shoot and for decent range corvids is verging on being really fun. Long range shooting of quarry isn't true long range and very few go over 300 yards but there are occasions where it may be required, probably more down here with bigger arable fields.

Once again completly mis interpreted, assumed and missed the point. I will endevour to explain. Most C/F rifles .223 upwards to .243 hold no real world advantages on the lamp etc. If you zero your rifle at the appropriate range to make the most of your trajectory you can simply point and shoot as regards drop to considerable range - you must think a little of wind depending but say 50- 200yds as example. Yes you cannot faff around, thats the point! If you see charlie at 300 say it dont matter what your using you have to correct nominally 3 moa, sure one might be slightly flatter BUT IT WONT MAKE A DARN BIT OF DIFFERENCE. Safe siding the shot and acounting for your guesstimate will do the job! Now there is a difference a 75grn v-max might not shoot as flat as a 55 grn 6mm bullet out of your .243 BUT it will be a darn sight easier to hit things with at say 300yds- reason is wind, dont matter how flat you think your gun shoots misses will be due more to 1. shooter ability 2. wind 3. movement of the quarry during trigger release and impact. trajectory is way down the list at only 300!

As a side note, the ultimate fox and vermin scope might well be a fixed mag with std duplex reticule the lower thick and thin intersection being the above mentioned 3 moa. No winding dials " the shooter of experiance does head dope anyway" Easy to judge hold and no bracketing or lazering required

Edited by kent

I don't think i've ever come accross a forum where,some people can be be so sensitive and can't handle their opinions being questioned and can't help but continue to try and explain their point to try and get support of their view. It's really quite sad. "You can please some of the people some of the time, but not all of the people all of the time" It's as simple as that!I read, i research, i think, and i form my opinion. If it isn't to "some" peoples liking, "tough ****!.If i'm wrong, then so be it. I'll learn from it. If i'm right, then fine.

Edited by jam1e

Its the internet, its a forum. There is good stuff out there but its sorting through the rubbish. Problem is those who are asking the questions don't often already know enough of the answers, sounds sort of a dumb chicken and egg situation but its quite true. As regards rifle choice, its realy personal past experiance and personal asthetic prefference with a dose of budjet thrown in for good measure. Calibre choice is facts polluted by bad science and marketing LOL

The departure of Ackley left a vacuum to be filled.

People offer opinions, that is it and they are their opinions. If you have to start justifying your opinion you are in one if three places.

1, right and trying to be nice

2.wrong and trying to be helpful

3, wasting your time trying to force something on those who disagree

Edit, lets go for a 4th.

Its 6:25 in the morning, im wide awake recovering from a minor operation on my eye yesterday and like some pundits, just have nothing slse to do

Ackely had a lot of things (not all just a lot) right he did just go at it in a bad way.

Ackley was an experienced shooter who knew a lot of stuff but came across badly trying to discuss it and when you got to know him, realised he took great pleasure in winding people up. He could be funny and as a spectator it was often hilarious

Oh i see. A good blagg is a must for a good laugh/forum. But can be taken too far if someone genuinely wants advice and just isn't getting it, after the blag.

Was he banned or just left?