Permissible Caliber For Specific Quarry's

^mimic^

With due respect to the previous replies, I think this is what mimic is referring to.

I'm no good with these link things but if you put " Firearms Guidance to the Police 2002 " in your search engine, you will bring up a Home Office Link. Now in Chapter 13, Page 76 you will see a list of calibers which are to be used on certain types of animals. It is quite specific and the Police should be using this when processing firearm certificate applications etc.

This is the latest Guidance that I am aware of, but obviously it has been superceded by the advent of the 17 HMR.

In other words, it has created another grey area for us gun onwers. :oops:

Is this what you wanted, mimic ?

:good:

Well i was hoping there was a legal requirment for a 243 on fox but i guess there isnt :good: Yeh it was the .17 hmr comment i didn't like

In my personal opinion shooting a fox with that caliber is Crewl....

Mmm, you obviously didn’t read my answer about shooting foxes at 250yds with a .17hmr……….it was a bloody joke.

As for shooting them at normal ranges, I will refer you to the answer I gave to Hilly Billy; if you have never used the calibre against fox, and have no actual knowledge about the capabilities of this calibre, then you can’t just give an arbitrary answer based on a “Feeling†that it MAY be cruel.

Shooting a fox at 60yds in the heart/lung area with a .22rf, travelling at 1050-1080fps could cause wounding, and could be construed as cruel if that caused suffering.

But the same shot with a .17hmr CCI hollow-point travelling at 2550 fps is massively more powerful and WILL take that fox out very quickly and with the minimum of suffering IF the shot is correctly placed.

I have used this round on many occasions and actually have it on my ticket as a dedicated fox round, so I do have actual experience of the performance of this round, and don’t base my answer on theory, rhetoric or a “Feeling†that it isn’t powerful enough.

Now I really do feel that this subject has been just about done to death, and unless someone can actually come along with another post that is of some technical merit, then I will now bow out of this particular discussion.

G.M.

Oh aye sorry..

anyone can make a mistake, and i often wonder if some of the firearms departments make them as well, and thats how some folk get the hmr for foxes.

You know i have my HMR listed for vermin and also FOX this is from a force that turned one of the members of this forum down when he applied for it..... :oops::lol::good::oops:

Put them on the floor and smash them with a hammer, making them nothing more than mangled lumps of lead and copper.

Believe me, the authorities would have no hesitation in revoking your FAC if these were found in your possession, and the way this lot in power works you would probably be treated harder than a Yardie with a dozen live 9mm rounds in his possession. :blink:

G.M.

Put them on the floor and smash them with a hammer, making them nothing more than mangled lumps of lead and copper.

Believe me, the authorities would have no hesitation in revoking your FAC if these were found in your possession, and the way this lot in power works you would probably be treated harder than a Yardie with a dozen live 9mm rounds in his possession. :blink:

G.M.

Already done Graham. Thanks for the advice.