"Agricultural" bolt action 12G

old_n07

It's another one of those identify the gun type threads :oops:

An old boy passed on and the gun was passed on to me but I'm not sure on the actual make, it has The Grange Gun Co. Hewell Redditch on the barrel but from what little I've found out they had their guns made by third parties and had their name put on them.

IMG_0603.jpg

The proof marks are Birmingham post 1959

IMG_0606.jpg

The gun in question is a single barrel bolt action 12G

IMG_0570.jpg

IMG_0578.jpg

IMG_0594.jpg

IMG_0591.jpg

IMG_0590.jpg

IMG_0588.jpg

Sorry for all the pics, but any info gratefully recieved :good:

Neil

Edited by old_n07

Some info on the maker

http://forums.pigeon...ditch-any-info/

Care Of Midland Shooting School

Hewell Park

Redditch

Worcestershire

B97 6QP

Cheers for that :good:

Looks like someone has a Grange for sale on Guntrader though they are not quite sure what it is from the description :hmm:

"Grange Gun Co 9mm RF Bolt Action second hand Shotgun (R/H)"

I think I'll see if they can send me a picture of the gun tomorrow :whistling:

The only one I know of is a Marlin goose gun - not sure if that's the name or just what they're called informally?

It's not a Marlin. The one that I had said what it was, "Marlin Model 55" (IIRC).

It had a 36" barrel. When I took it to the local clay ground, I had to unsling it from my shoulder before I could walk through the club-house door. :)

Regards,

Mark.

P.S. It had a two-shot box mag that had been welded in as it was S.2.

It looks very similar to a BSA type action but it might be an American Cooey. (Spelling). They were fairly popular as cheap singles back in the 60's/70's. I cant remember who used to import/sell them.

I've had a Google arround for the Cooey's and the bolt action seems to be different, where the slot is on the centre on my gun it is to the side on the Cooey. Cheers for the suggestion, I'd not heard of the make before.

cooey_zps79f8852e.jpg

Webly and Scott?

The W+S are some closest I've seen, but I don't think it is one

.719 ! thats a tight one !

What does the .719" reffer to?

Neil

Guest cookoff013

What does the .719" reffer to?

Neil

bore size, .729 is a classic size for 12gauge, although this can be classed as sub bore, so is slightly tighter.

only the chambers specifications are tightly controlled, the forcing cone and barrel diameter are completely open to interpretation. some have overbore (larger than 0.729" ) and some have smaller than 0.729" bore meaning sub bore. although they do only fluctuate 10 thou here and there....

most guns have it stamped on the barrel. as this does. my sxs is scribed in metric.

bore size, .729 is a classic size for 12gauge, although this can be classed as sub bore, so is slightly tighter.

only the chambers specifications are tightly controlled, the forcing cone and barrel diameter are completely open to interpretation. some have overbore (larger than 0.729" ) and some have smaller than 0.729" bore meaning sub bore. although they do only fluctuate 10 thou here and there....

most guns have it stamped on the barrel. as this does. my sxs is scribed in metric.

Cheers for clearing that up, does it mean that it has the same effect as a choke

I kinda like it :)

I know what you mean, I'm going to look at refinishing the stock and generally tidying it up a bit :good:

It's not a cool gun it really is a bag of ****, the lock time is probably longer than a flintlock. ,719 points it at an american manufacturer. I owned a grange gun co 410 once, first shotgun I ever owned and it misfired on the very first shot. I think I've had a flinch ever since.

It probably is a harrington & richards or savage who bulked out guns for the UK like the birmingham manufacturers did for african trade guns.

It's great for sneaking up hedgerows and potting sitters but will not be that repetitive on wing shots due to the lock time.

Guns like this hung on many a wall in south wales and looked very impressive but didn't get much use hence the good condition of your example.

It's guns like this that showed the superiority of the bsa and webley and scott break barrel single shot, especially the w&s and condemned the grange gun co and dorchesters of this world to obscurity, I mean how many people would fail to recognise the contemporary beeza or W&S.