What are the pigeons saying?

Cosd

Went a walk down my permission yesterday pigeon all over the place on drilled wheat and already on the rape unlike last year, shot birds have wheat ,hawthorn berries and rape in the crops (no acorns ) so should be better year not many acorns or beech about at all .i am in Staffordshire is this the same all over the country .

Colin

Are you any the wiser after those diverse replies?

Seeing what is going on just on your own permisions doesn't give a clear picture of what the birds are doing in general. The idea of this post was to get a much broader idea of the current situation.

Does that answer your question?

Cos

Seeing what is going on just on your own permisions doesn't give a clear picture of what the birds are doing in general. The idea of this post was to get a much broader idea of the current situation.

Cos

Yes it does thank you and I agree entirely with the aim of your post.

Pigeons feeding habits vary even on adjacent estates and it is never easy to predict with any certainty what they might feed on from one day to the next. Your post gleaned a wide range of behaviour and choice of food.

Cos

bit confused with this post cosd because we can only give info on what is happening on our own perms but obviously you can scout around while driving and see if you spot birds on any given field.

if you look at the locations on peoples avatars that is enough info so what i have learned from it is they are feeding on rape in some areas,on stubbles and drillings in others and that will be country wide and around here they are feeding on all the said crops

In Hereford on a estate I shoot on there are a lot of pigeons on barley stubble.shot 38 last week and 65 this week. I must have seen 400 plus birds about the area. It was very quite in the summer and the birds did not hit the peas so hoping they will hang around for the winter. There is very little wild food in the woods and hedge rows. So I think that the rape will be hit hard this year or the birds will move south down through Europe if the weather gets hard.