My beloved S510 is going!

chrisjpainter

So, it's my birthday in a couple of days, and I'm going to treat myself to an air ranger! My question is for anyone out there who's used a hand pump for larger cylinder air rifles. Is it truly exhausting filling up to pressure on a 400cc bottle? I've never had a problem with it on my S510, but that has a shot count of about 60 compared to 400, so I'm guessing there's a bit of a difference. Any thoughts?

Get yourself a bottle clean dry air. :good:

And trying to pump up to 232 bar on a 400cc bottle were do we send the flowers. :no:

I got rid of my pump and now i have a 3 lit 300 bar for throwing in the car and a 12 lit 232 bar for home. :good:

I used to get leaky seals and 0 rings and regulateor problems caused by dust and moisture from the pump. :angry:

After stripping a few guns down to replace 0 rings and seals and seeing the amount of moisture and dirt inside the air cylinders and even rust in one of my Loguns. :cry1:

Since using air cylinders i have not had any problems at all. :yahoo:

Air cylinders are filled with very clean dry air and are a lot better for your guns. :good:

I will never use a pump again. :no:

Happy :shoot::shoot::shoot:

Er no, what you do is get the gun shop to fill up the Air Ranger bottle before you leave the premises. Then when you get home and get it all set up, you then fill up with the pump!

Sounds like Night Searcher had a bad pump or pumped up in bad atmospherics. A Hills with a dry pack on it will be as dry and as clean as diving cylinder air. If the rust problems caused by pumps were that prevalent the pump manufacturers would be sued out of existence by people with ruined PCP rifles.

Just remember top up when you have finished shooting and you can run a 400cc buddy bottle quite happily using a pump! If you are going to spend a day at the range shooting targets, top up at the range before you leave (most ranges have top up facilities)!

a bottle is easier though, take seconds best to fill slowly but still its seconds.

if you in the position to buy a bottle money wise, and have some where that will fill it ( my 3litre 300bar cost me £2 to get filled) then its a god send! i've not used a pump on a PCP so cant comment unbaisedly but......

EEERRRRR YES. :angry:

Any gunsmith will tell you that they can tell if a gun has been filled with a pump or an air cylinder and pumps are renowned for putting moisture in air tubes causing problems. :yes:

The pump i had was a three stage hill`s with a dry pack fitted and there was nothing wrong with it. :yes:

And has for topping the gun up after every shoot. :w00t:

Whats the point of having a 400 cc bottle if you are going to take it off just to top it up. :crazy:

That means discharging the regulator and causing undue wear on the brass threads and 0 ring. :crazy:

Second hand 7 litre 300 bar bottles crop up all the time for around 130 - 150 with a full test on it. You will have to pay at least 2/3rds of that for a second hand decent pump and the same for a new one. Its a no brainer. Ok so it will need retesting every 5 years, but at 35 quid, thats not the end of the world for 5 years of use. If you look out on the other airgun site, theres a few on there now. If you want a bargain, get one out of test for peanuts, get it tested and your in business. Most of the dedicated airgun bottles do nothing but stay in the house with clean dry air in them, not immersed in sea water, so the chances of it not passing testing are ridiculously low. Oh and forgot to say, get a proper airgun filling one, not a divers bottle. If it has a valve suitablle for diving it will need testing in half the time. Get one with the bleed valve and gauge on it, not as an adapter.

Edited by turbo33

EEERRRRR YES. :angry:

Any gunsmith will tell you that they can tell if a gun has been filled with a pump or an air cylinder and pumps are renowned for putting moisture in air tubes causing problems. :yes:

The pump i had was a three stage hill`s with a dry pack fitted and there was nothing wrong with it. :yes:

And has for topping the gun up after every shoot. :w00t:

Whats the point of having a 400 cc bottle if you are going to take it off just to top it up. :crazy:

That means discharging the regulator and causing undue wear on the brass threads and 0 ring. :crazy:

Round hairy spherical objects, I know of at least 2 gunsmiths who have stated that they have not seen a gun that had been pressurised with a pump that had internal corrosion! If you top the gun up after every shoot, you dont need to go and spend at least £150 on a bottle set up do you? If the threads wear that much the damned gun is faulty!

Grow up and get your facts right. Get some experience. Have your objects dropped yet.

He is buying a Daystate Air Ranger do you think he is bothered about £150 for a new bottle and gauge.

That will be far better for his rifle.

The moisture a pump puts in the air tube comes out through your regulator exhaust valve through the transfer port and out the barrel so you see a vapour mist when you fire.

You see next to no vapour when a gun as been filled with an Air cylinder.

Just have a read of Air bottle or stirrup pump 24th Oct same page has this.

Enough said.

Edited by NIGHT SEARCHER

Second hand 7 litre 300 bar bottles crop up all the time for around 130 - 150 with a full test on it. You will have to pay at least 2/3rds of that for a second hand decent pump and the same for a new one. Its a no brainer. Ok so it will need retesting every 5 years, but at 35 quid, thats not the end of the world for 5 years of use. If you look out on the other airgun site, theres a few on there now. If you want a bargain, get one out of test for peanuts, get it tested and your in business. Most of the dedicated airgun bottles do nothing but stay in the house with clean dry air in them, not immersed in sea water, so the chances of it not passing testing are ridiculously low. Oh and forgot to say, get a proper airgun filling one, not a divers bottle. If it has a valve suitablle for diving it will need testing in half the time. Get one with the bleed valve and gauge on it, not as an adapter.

turbo.

Never had a pcp rifle only springers.....Question ......How often are the rifle cylinders pressure tested?

It depends on what type of valve is fitted.

If it has a valve that is for under water use it has to be tested every two and a half years.

If it has a valve that is for surface only use it has to be tested every five years.

There are two types of test. visual test and hydraulic test. It depends on how old the bottle is.

The visual test is around the £20 mark.

The hydraulic test is around the £35 mark and usually has to be sent away for testing.

I have two bottles one is a 3 lit 300bar and has a divers valve on it. It fills my rifles about 20 times.

The other is a 12 lit 232 bar with a surface valve on it. It fills my rifles about 40 times.

Each fill gives around 100 shots.

The cost of having the bottles filled is around £3.50 each bottle. At a divers shop.

If it has a valve that is for under water use it has to be tested every two and a half years.

If it has a valve that is for surface only use it has to be tested every five years.

There are two types of test. visual test and hydraulic test. It depends on how old the bottle is.

The hydraulic test is around the £35 mark and usually has to be sent away for testing.

I have two bottles one is a 3 lit 300bar and has a divers valve on it. It fills my rifles about 20 times.

The other is a 12 lit 232 bar with a surface valve on it. It fills my rifles about 40 times.

The cost of having the bottles filled is around £3.50 each bottle. At a divers shop.

Just got a bottle which is full , for future ref where in M/C area do you have bottle filled ? , nearest I could see to me is one in Stockport .

Hi Zulu yes there`s two one in Cheadle Hulme a Diveing shop. He charges £3.50 to fill a bottle to 300 bar.

The other one is just by the Pyramid at Stockport www.aqualogistics.co.uk 0161 480 5745.

They charge £3.50 to fill to 300 bar. They are very helpful and friendly.

They sorted a bottle out for a friend of mine a 12 lit 210 bar bottle with 5 years test for £30. No gauge.

There`s a few gun shops that will fill a bottle for you but you rarely get a full 300 bar because they just fill off there bottle.

I have had my bottles filled at Fire Stations sometimes i just put a few pounds in there collection box.

Hi Zulu yes there`s two one in Cheadle Hulme a Diveing shop. He charges £3.50 to fill a bottle to 300 bar.

The other one is just by the Pyramid at Stockport www.aqualogistics.co.uk 0161 480 5745.

They charge £3.50 to fill to 300 bar. They are very helpful and friendly.

They sorted a bottle out for a friend of mine a 12 lit 210 bar bottle with 5 years test for £30. No gauge.

There`s a few gun shops that will fill a bottle for you but you rarely get a full 300 bar because they just fill off there bottle.

I have had my bottles filled at Fire Stations sometimes i just put a few pounds in there collection box.

Thanks for that .

Julian

Night searcher.

Thanks for that but ....... How often is the cylinder on the rifle itself tested?

The Air Cylinder on a rifle never has to be tested.

The biggest buddy bottle on a gun is 500cc.

Most Rifles have a 200 cc bottle on them.

Only Air Cylinders over 1 lit have to be tested.

You can have them looked at for your own peace of mind if you think it might be rusty inside or damaged.

They do have 200 bar in them 3000 psi so if they do fail its like a bomb going off.

Saying that i have never known one fail under normal use.

I have seen one that someone had just turned the valve on the bottle and put 300 bar in a 200 bar air tube it hadn`t failed but the steel tube had swelled up and was scrap.

Edited by NIGHT SEARCHER

Thanks for the replies chaps! As my posts on other topics will show I'm a big fan of the hand pump! And, as buying the gun is going to totally wipe me out of cash I can reasonably spend on myself, I think it will be the way to go for the time being. Thanks for the input Night Searcher, but £150 is A LOT of petrol/ food money and if I can stave off spending the extra money on a bottle then that will make me very happy indeed! My knees seem to cope fine with the pumping, so I will stick with it.

If I have a coronary, i'll have a rethink, but until that day comes, it's all about my trusty Gunpower stirrup pump!

cjp

No probs. Hows about a bottle for xmas.

Both my bottles stand me at very little.

What i bought were full set ups at the right money.

(ie) Falcon fn19 with scope silencer sling bag and a 300 bar bottle for £265. From a gun shop.

I sold the Falcon has a set up with out the bottle for £260. I already have a Falcon FN19.

The second deal i did was for a BSA Super 10 bull barrel with a 12 lit bottle i paid £350. From a add on Gunstar.

I sold the Super 10 for £350 i did put a scope on it £30. I already have a super 10 bull barrel with 3 mags.

I have a Daystate huntsman FTR and it is so accurate its amazing.

Enjoy your Daystate.

If its any help I have no bother filling a Rapid 400cc bottle with a RWS pump,If the bottle is really low I do it in a couple of stages rather than heat the pump up too much.

That does indeed help! Doing it in two stages makes sense, can't be too much of a chore, pump in some air, have a cup of tea, finish off. win

Grow up and get your facts right. Get some experience. Have your objects dropped yet.

He is buying a Daystate Air Ranger do you think he is bothered about £150 for a new bottle and gauge.

Thanks for the replies chaps! As my posts on other topics will show I'm a big fan of the hand pump! And, as buying the gun is going to totally wipe me out of cash I can reasonably spend on myself, I think it will be the way to go for the time being.

Well that blew that theory straight out of the water then didn't it! :lol:

As for stirrup pumps, IN MY EXPERIENCE, so long as it has a drypack type system fitted to it then it should be fine albeit hard work. I've used both and never had any corrosion issues. I do tend to use a dive bottle now just to prevent coronoary episodes!