shooting crows

williamr

HI Guys,

Can you please give me some advice. on shooting Crows,I have a couple of crow decoys I put out with my Pigeon decoys,how many decoys would I need just for crow shooting?,or could I get away with a Owl decoy,and shoot the Crow as they mob the Owl decoy,looking forward to advice,

many thanks,

Williamr

Hi William. I find that the more decoys you have,the better the birds will respond. Once you shoot a few birds, add them to the decoys. I do this by inserting a thin bamboo cane from the birds vent, into the neck, then put it upright in the ground.

You can make your own sillouette decoys by using thin plywood or, as I've used, Correx, which is similar to what's used to make 'For Sale' signs by estate agents.

I have'nt had any success with an Owl decoy yet, and I have the small one and the large European Eagle Owl one.

I would strongly advise you to get a Primos Power Crow caller. This caller is excellent, once you learn how to use it. It's far better than the Sam Neyt one, in my opinion, and is 2/3rd's cheaper in price.

Any other questions, just ask.

Steve.

This is the link to the photograph of my homemade decoys.

http://forums.pigeon...26-decoy-birds/

Good advice from Steve B. forget about the owl. Look where they are feeding. Put out a pattern with a gap in the middle for them to land in. As you shoot a few, get them on cradles or out with a bamboo or coat hanger section in the chin. As mentioned, the primos caller really works. This clip has been on here before but may help.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_u_LapkUBSo

Edited by steve0146

you have to be in the place the crows have an interest in other wise you wont get consistant birds visiting your patern! find out were there feeding the night before your shooting and chances are they will be there in the morning. as said above owl decoys are in my opinion a waste of time also! build a good hide blend it in to the surrounding folage and keep still until there well in range, i try to build hides with the sun behind me it helps to keep you unseen! flappers work well so do floaters with a jackdaw on but they can spook them at times!

alot of it is trial and error and just remember how clever these birds are!! a decent caller that you can learn to use properly makes a big difference(primos power crow call) is in my opinion the best there is, as for decoys i use flocked decoys numbers depend on how the days set if alot of birds have been present i put around 30 out if theres not much about i only put around ten out, it works for me 90% of the time.

atb C.S

Edited by cumbrian shooter

I'm not sure if the caller used in the video clip is actually a Primos. It sounds a bit 'tinny' to me, and nothing like the ones I use. But it works, whatever he is using.

'Electric' callers are not allowed to call birds in with the intention of shooting them. Taking photographs of them however,is fine.

I'm not sure if the caller used in the video clip is actually a Primos. It sounds a bit 'tinny' to me, and nothing like the ones I use. But it works, whatever he is using.

'Electric' callers are not allowed to call birds in with the intention of shooting them. Taking photographs of them however,is fine.

Can you please explain regarding the use of electronic callers,is this the law as I have not come across this before,as I have not considered using a caller until now.

williamr

Can you please explain regarding the use of electronic callers,is this the law as I have not come across this before,as I have not considered using a caller until now.

williamr

Mate it is illegal, ie It is the law that you cannot use Electronic callers to call birds with the intention of shooting them! If you get caught its your license

we use a combination of Sillosox , fuds with the flaps cut off. sometimes with my mates full bodied deeks and just two flyers [low to the ground ] and it really just depends if the crows are interested... On a good day we could get up to 50plus and on a really bad day lucky to get a few, check out what the corvids are feeding on , it always amazes me that sometimes they are a bit kamakaze and other days so shy. try a full bodied lofter with a hand caller. I've used home made corex deeks flocked with some success. use a template to cut out the shape , bicycle spokes bent in a z shape and bamboo to hold them in situation

good shooting