will this gun do for ruff shooting

cumbrian shooter

Hi

im looking at buying a 26" b.c. Miroku 26" o/u choked 1/4 and 1/4 for decoying! Will this be ok for walked up game shooting? Also will it look out of place being more like a skeet gun! Im planning on taking it on my first walked up game day! So any advice is welcomed with open arms!! Im currently using a 30" lanber sporter but find it heavy, also long barrels are not ideal when in the hide, for me that is!

cheers

C.S

It sounds like the Miroku 800S which I bought about a year ago, 26 inch barrels, choked skeet and skeet. Superb for clays (skeet, sporting, high tower and simulated grouse) and as a hide gun when shooting pigeons and crows. Mine likes 30/32 gram no. 6 for most purposes, change to no. 5 for targets further out.

Chris

It sounds like the Miroku 800S which I bought about a year ago, 26 inch barrels, choked skeet and skeet. Superb for clays (skeet, sporting, high tower and simulated grouse) and as a hide gun when shooting pigeons and crows. Mine likes 30/32 gram no. 6 for most purposes, change to no. 5 for targets further out.

Chris

good stuff nice to know that you get along well with yours

i checked with a choke gauge and it read quarter in each barrel i wonder if yours was opened up a bit? I used to have a nikko 26" skeet and skeet choked and shot well with it, how do you find it o. The crows?

Choke gauge is only any good if you know your barrel diameter and the gauge matches this otherwise it's just an ornament.

Check under the barrels they should be marked up for choke.

Pattern it with your chosen cartridge and then you'll know what choke your gun is.

Figgy

Edited by figgy

Choke gauge is only any good if you know your barrel diameter and the gauge matches this otherwise it's just an ornament.

Check under the barrels they should be marked up for choke.

Pattern it with your chosen cartridge and then you'll know what choke your gun is.

Figgy

i dont want to sound daft and im in no way chalenging what you have said. But i dint realy understand what you mean! I thought a 12G choke gauge would measure any choke in a 12g gun?

i dont want to sound daft and im in no way chalenging what you have said. But i dint realy understand what you mean! I thought a 12G choke gauge would measure any choke in a 12g gun?

Different manufactures make the bore size in different diameters (within the tolerences laid down for barrel diameters) so a gauge is only good for the bore size the gauge was designed for. The only real way to measure the choke size is first measure the barrel bore size, the measure the choke area, then from those measurements you can work out what the gun is choked to.

Choke is the the pattern the cartridge puts out out 30 yards. Each gun cartridge combination will behave differently. A good guess can be made tho by measuring the bore and then constriction at the muzzle. If and it's a bit if your choke gauge is setup for the same bore size as your barrel it will give a good idea. Most of these choke gauges just use the average12 bore measurements so can be at least 1 increment out.

The only way to measure it accurately is with a gunsmiths tool or even better pattern the gun and your preferred cartridge

good stuff nice to know that you get along well with yours

i checked with a choke gauge and it read quarter in each barrel i wonder if yours was opened up a bit? I used to have a nikko 26" skeet and skeet choked and shot well with it, how do you find it o. The crows?

On the day I bought the gun I called in at a friend's workshop on the way home and we measured the exit diameter of the barrel. It was 0.721''. The barrel is marked 0.729'' which gives a constriction of 0.008''. Skeet chokes are usually around 0.005'' and quarter around 0.010'' so I regard this as a slightly open 1/4 choke. The letter S is stamped on each barrel so it corresponds to whatever Miroku thought was the optimum choking for skeet shooting back in 1974 when it was made.

If I am out rough shooting with the gun, I find that Lyalvale Express 36g no. 5 will bring down crows at ridiculous distances. I got one at 50 yards last winter although that was the exception!

Chris

On the day I bought the gun I called in at a friend's workshop on the way home and we measured the exit diameter of the barrel. It was 0.721''. The barrel is marked 0.729'' which gives a constriction of 0.008''. Skeet chokes are usually around 0.005'' and quarter around 0.010'' so I regard this as a slightly open 1/4 choke. The letter S is stamped on each barrel so it corresponds to whatever Miroku thought was the optimum choking for skeet shooting back in 1974 when it was made.

If I am out rough shooting with the gun, I find that Lyalvale Express 36g no. 5 will bring down crows at ridiculous distances. I got one at 50 yards last winter although that was the exception!

Chris

If you can try it on a pattern plate I think you'll be surprised the difference a cartridge can make for example one with a strong plastic shot cup will keep the pattern tighter for longer etc. I have a 1890s Westley Richards with 0.003 constriction so nearly cylinder I find gamebore pure gold f2 plastic 6s shots a nice 1/4 pattern where as the fibre wad shoots a skeet pattern. The supreme game I prefered cartridge for my other guns does not hold a pattern past 20 yards

If you can try it on a pattern plate I think you'll be surprised the difference a cartridge can make for example one with a strong plastic shot cup will keep the pattern tighter for longer etc. I have a 1890s Westley Richards with 0.003 constriction so nearly cylinder I find gamebore pure gold f2 plastic 6s shots a nice 1/4 pattern where as the fibre wad shoots a skeet pattern. The supreme game I prefered cartridge for my other guns does not hold a pattern past 20 yards

Interesting comment on the results from different cartridges. I presume that the effect is going to be more noticeable with wider chokes although it would be worth while trying different cartridges and chokes, so much to do, so little time! I intend having a good shotgun patterning session with the farmer who owns my nearest permission (50 yards away at the bottomof the garden!). I took him and his wife to Doveridge to shoot some clays on Friday and he is genuinely interested in going through this excercise with his Browning Prestige Sporter. I have a Prestige Game gun with Teague long chokes, should be interesting to see if there is actually a difference between my Teagues and his Invectors.

Chris