jimny sump leaking

cockercas

Has any other members sumps leaked oil on there jimny? Mine leaked at work one day so we towed it home. Dropped the sump off cleaned it up, new gaskets sealer on it and put it back on. It sealed for a couple of days then leaked from exactly the same place. Its leaking from the front passenger side corner. Any ideas

Yep, mine leaked about 18 months ago. The Jimny was 8 years old at the time. I'd thought it was just needing a new sump plug and washer, but turned out the underside had become porous due to rust. Needed a new sump, as repair was going to cost more than a new unit!

Only cost about £100 (from memory, but might have the receipt) to supply and replace. Thought it would be more than that tbh.

if its leaking that fast you had to tow it home it won't be from the gasket sealing where the sump bolts on it will be lower down, simple answer to this is when stationary the sump isn't full to that level usually, though I haven't looked at a Jimney. Only real answer is buy a new gasket or some liquid gasket and take it off and inspect it.

Buy a landrover, less work by the sounds of it

1st time i've ever seen 'Land Rover' and 'Less work' in the same sentence :blink:

It's not a Landy if there isn't a pool of oil under it...

You seem certain that it's coming from the gasket, are you actually seeing it dripping from the gasket joint itself, or are you just looking at where most of the oil is?

Oil can spread in strange ways, it can be very deceiving at times. With a new gasket I can't see how it's likely to be that, I'd be thinking a damaged sump or damaged engine block.

Bet you were swearing at that stupid little plate that covers the flywheel and has the awkward 10mm bolts in it.. :yes:

Our Jimny sump went poreous and had to be replaced, they are around £80-100 from suzuki, if it has been sealed correctly as said it shouldn't leak although check the surface where the block meets the front crank seal plate as I thing they seal and form a flat surface for the sump to seal on.

Regards,

Gixer

No I can see it comming out the gasket. Pouring out. I know plenty of sealer went on because I put sealer on the sump and on the engine.

There is your answer....

You should use a new gasket on a sump and not "gasket sealer" as when you torque up the bolts most of the sealer will be squished out and even worse some will be squished IN,so you will now have sealer inside your sump.

Take it off again and get a new gasket (£7 or something) clean it all and re fit. problem should be solved.

Blimey there is something seriously wrong there mate.

okie dokie so its all cleaned up, had new basket, no obvious holes etc.

At risk of sounding daft question it ain't lost a sump bolt has it? Broken off or fell out? Seen that before.

Can you see exact point its leaking from?

I've had the sump off, cleaned up and new gaskets sealer on. It is definitely coming from the gasket. It only leaks when the oil is hot and the engine is running. I towed it home because there little oil in the sump. I don't know how long it had leaked for.

that'll be what the dip stick is for .............

are there any other casings joining at the same point, is the filter above?