SxS front trigger recoil issue

Granty84

Hello all,

I recently adjusted the length of pull on my sxs and found that when I now work the second trigger, the recoil drives the front one into my trigger finger. The big problem I have is that the gun is quite old and the back of the front trigger is rather abrasive, thus when I looked down at my hand after 40 clays I was shocked to see it covered in blood! You should have seen the trigger guard which had gained a crimson paint job!

Does anyone have any advice on how I might be able to alleviate the issue. I don't really want to alter the gun but have considered putting a layer of rubberised shrink wrap on the front trigger to give it a smooth surface.

Any ideas most welcome!

Thanks for those answers. In actual fact I've lengthened the length of pull rather than shortened it- by about an inch. I was finding it difficult to hold it firmly to my shoulder and therefore was getting a rather large bruise on my arm! I'll speak to a gunsmith about this.

Some guns, notably Spanish imports have a hinged front trigger - as this is a known problem. I have heard that some 'best' English guns also have a hinged trigger, but I've never seen one. Bending triggers would possibly require annealing followed by re-hardening.

My own immediate suggestion would be to use light loads. I use 21 gramme loads with success in my 12 bores (and they are cheaper as well!) although I have never suffered with recoil/fingers etc. I have several guns including light straight hand double triggers and these loads work very well for clays. If you are shooting clays (as indicated) this is great, but a more permanent solution would be needed for game/pigeons as 21 grammes will not suit much live quarry. For this, I think you may need to visit a shooting coach to see what is going wrong.

Hi John, now I've read your thoughts, I've realised that it wasn't just the LOP that was different this weekend compared to last. I used different cartridges as well! As a scientist, I should know that you should only change one factor at a time!!!!!!

The weekend where my finger came away unscathed, I was using Gamebore Kent Velocity 28gm 7.5s and the finger bashing time, I was using Eley VIP 28gm 7.5s which I've found in the past to have a lot more of a kick! I will try some Kent Velocities with the new LOP and see if my finger survives!