FAC?

Jackw04_123

As always I'm in need of the experience and knowledge of the members of this forum. I currently have my sgc and shoot regularly with air guns. I have now decided it is appropiate to apply for my fac the only thing is I have no experiance as to what rifle or calibre would be appropiate for the type of shooting I do. I want the gun for pest control clearing rabbits and foxes from a permission of mine. I have been advised by a local chap towards a .22 250 but thought I would seek a second opinion. Anybody that could cast some wisdom on the subject would much appreciated.

Its a bit hard to find the perfect calibre for one rifle for what your asking. If your county issues 17hmr for fox I would go down that route. If not maybe a .222 .223 but nearly £1 per round unless you reload will be pretty expensive for bunny work.

The other option is to buy two cheap second hand rifles. a .22Lr and a 22.250, .222 or .223 . The 22lr is almost silent and can be devastating to the bunny population. and the .222 is perfect for Foxes and the odd bunny.

Find out if your force will give you 17hmr for fox and if it does your sorted.

Your FEO may not grant you a CF as your 1st rifle,you may be advised to get a little experience with a RF for starters, 22lr 22mag or a 17hmr,small they be compared to a 22.250 or others mentioned but comopared to air rifles and shot guns a totaly different ball game. Where both shotguns and air rifles run out of steam at 100 yds even a RF is very capable of killing at well over 100 so your safety awareness needs some serious thinking about with regards back stops. CF your talking in fractions of miles ie 1/4 plus, easily.

Its a bit hard to find the perfect calibre for one rifle for what your asking. If your county issues 17hmr for fox I would go down that route. If not maybe a .222 .223 but nearly £1 per round unless you reload will be pretty expensive for bunny work.

The other option is to buy two cheap second hand rifles. a .22Lr and a 22.250, .222 or .223 . The 22lr is almost silent and can be devastating to the bunny population. and the .222 is perfect for Foxes and the odd bunny.

Find out if your force will give you 17hmr for fox and if it does your sorted.

That was a very good answer to the question, just too add a couple of points about your land? What is it like, does it hold many foxes, and are there any neighbouring shoots?

Historically farmers don’t like foxes so if they are around that will add weight to any paper work.

I think the .22rf is best choice for the rabbits as they can be made super quiet, the owner of the gun shop I use has the choice of any gun, however he uses a .222 with a good quality scope. I asked him why that calibre his reply was it works very well!!

A friend uses a 17 and it is deadly, however they are loud and in my opinion not suitable for foxes.

Two guns is twice the price but with the second hand market you have plenty of choice. I believe you will use the .22rf much more than the c/f but with some carful purchases you will have the right tools for the job.

Be aware you may end up with a mentoring condition on you FAC, so do your home work regarding that side, all ways best to look ahead.

TEH

its not impossible to get granted c/f as a first time applicant, if you wanted to go deerstalking a RF would be no use etc. Personally i have serious doubts about rimfires and foxes as to many police areas, if pushed i should opt for .22 WMR over the others and keep the ranges short. In the hands of a less experianced person the chance of wounding is increased.

.22-250 will kill foxes but will also disintegrate rabbits, so if you want them for the pot its a non starter and an expensive way to go about things and frankly it wont kill foxes any better than the other .22 cf this side of 250-300 yds. .22 Hornet and .17 Rem are the two smallest centrefires recomended on home office guidence to police for fox and other vermin. I use the former very sucessfully for fox and rabbit along with a host of other stuff in good hands it will drop a fox with a boiler room shot at 200yds personally i might push it further if i knew the exact range in good conditions (though i have been at it a while) and harvest a bunny at 40-50yds without making a mess, i havent seen another round that will do this personally though one might exist. its also cheap to feed (especially if you hand load for it) very easy to moderate balistically knocking any rimfire into a cocked hat. Going up the scale .222 or .223 are of use but you might want to produce a lighter load for the small quarry, again this only applies if you hand load or want to use them for the pot ( i think we should on that last point, vermin or not one should never waste food)

The land is roughly 200 acres a site both farms within 2 mile of each other. They both get pestered with foxes the live in great numbers as nobody else shoots to my knowledge in the area. The 22rf seems to be the favourite then would this be more than capable of killing foxes at 100 yards obviously depending on me and my marksmanship. I already have a r10 which I enjoy using but as all 12ft/lb airguns it could do with abit more umph should I also list on my applications that I would like a fac air rifle as well or do you think not to push my luck?

It is capable at a closer range and has been used to that effect by many shooters. But some forces and even shooters wouldn't be happy about 100 yard shots on a fox. A 22lr is spot on accurate upto 80-90 yards for bunny bashing. Yes you could hit a fox but your trying to get a humane kill headshot so a .22lr at 100 will probably just injure the animal. Some shooters will not even shoot a fox with a 17hmr which is a tack driver at 100 yards. and ive seen a 17hmr turn bunnies inside out.

Is that because its not capable?

No its due to time of flight (about 1/3 second at a guess), poppers and crackers (ammo faults) wind changes. Foxes are also rarely totaly still when stationary, your dealing with 8" of drop from a 50yds zeroed sub and 4" of wind (fv 10mph) you shorten the ranges as much as you possibly can when dealing with foxes with .22 rf and make sure placement is spot on . if i miss a rabbits brain it will still kill well with a head shot off the brain itself chances are likewise a neck or chest shot, with a fox you will get a lot of yelping and a tail disapearing fast over the horizon .

Edited by kent

Jack ive just had a look at your profile to see were abouts you are from, no help there. Can i suggest you try and get yourself aquainted with someone who has RF and CF you will then see a little of what each one is capable of. "Dekers" i think has hit the nail on the head with his last post HMR-WMR or Hornet will do all :good:

• 3 weeks later...

just been up to burton today to pick up another rifle lol.

have you looked at the new .17 hornet? had a play with one last week when i popped out shooting with my local rfd.

we were hitting bunnys at 130+ all night and he hit 3 foxes at over 250yrds and they dropped instantly.

not the cheapest thing to run but its a amazing bit of kit

On the Home office police firearms guidance, it lists all of the calibres, and what they are suitable for.

.22RF is specifically listed on the table as NOT suitable for shooting foxes, except in very limited circumstances

It's all there in black and white, easily found, quite clear.