Decoying labourer/work experience...

Zeus

Hey,

Im really keen on learning about the art of Decoying and the fieldcrafts which go with it...something which I have no experience of.

What Im looking for is a kind decoyer who would allow me to shadow them on a day out. Im not asking to shoot with them...only to watch an learn as much as i can.

Obviously in return i will assist in any way you see fit such as retrieving, carrying, loading, plucking and gutting etc.....generally a dogs body/whipping boy! (hopefully less of the latter)

Im in the Bewdley area of Worcestershire.

I know altot of people say get out there and do but but when you have no land rights its a little tricky. Plus i want to be able to approach land owners with confidence and reassurance to them that I know whats what.

Any offers or help would be gratefully appreciated.

Cheers

Zeus

The best thing you can do is knock some doors and gain some permission. In the meantime join a clay club and make some shooting friends face to face. Tell them you're interested in decoying. If you don't get an offer of a day out from somebody there with permission you will if/when you gain your own permission. Good luck.

Take my hat off to you for your approach, if you are ever up in the Scottish Borders, pm me and i will see if i can get you some shooting.

Thanks Forestry......I was up in Scotland earlier in the year, cycling from John o Groats down to Lands End....yes Im mad!!! A beautiful part of our country up there.

Well Zeus first rape field was a disaster! Set up by 8am only for a parade of lorries to drop muck off! Plus point it kept the birds off. Moved to another field across the road and bagged 32 woodies 3 crows and a magpie! Blessing in disguise hey. Went for a look today and found a load on some recently cut maize so looks promising for next week. Let me know if you still want to go out it would be no worries.

• 1 month later...

Well Zeus first rape field was a disaster! Set up by 8am only for a parade of lorries to drop muck off! Plus point it kept the birds off. Moved to another field across the road and bagged 32 woodies 3 crows and a magpie! Blessing in disguise hey. Went for a look today and found a load on some recently cut maize so looks promising for next week. Let me know if you still want to go out it would be no worries.

Sorry Mr pigeon....I have only just spotted your reply!!! sounds like you had a good day in the end! Im getting a few offers and still working on gaining my own permissions.

Thats the best newbie asking post I've ever seen on PW, perfect approach :good: With that attitude you will be out with someone shortly and I'm sure Mr Farmer will find you as personable as you seem here. Good luck :good: :good:

i agree. the way some people go about asking is shocking.