conclusion to 22 long range shot

la bala

This is the most comprehensive test of .22 ammunition that I've seen - This is shot with a top of the range rifle/shooter in ideal conditions. The most accurate subsonic ammo at 100 yds was the Eley at .92 inch so, in theory a 2 inch group could be acheived. I've shot bench rest .22 at 200yds with a pukka target rifle and match ammunition and I would be over the moon with a 5 shot 2 inch group.

http://www.accurateshooter.com/guns-of-week/22lr-rimfire-ammo-comparison-test/

Warning i have very little experience of .22 rf shooting.

I enjoy pushing the boundaries as much as the next guy, however i shoot and air rifle, so when i push the boundaries its targets only. Yes, in exceptional circumstances i have taken longer range shots with the air rifle, and im guessing you were also in exceptional circumstances as well as being exceptionally confident in your own skills, which is fair enough.

There comes to a point when you are not in the right circumstances just walk closer to the damn target.

Too many variables exist for shooting .22 lr on quarry much past 100yds even in good conditions. Poppers and crackers occur with .22 rf rounds its annoying when you have put nine in a tight little group at extreame range (on paper) to see that one round drop out low. With regards wind you realy cannot see the lighter ones and sub 5mph can put you well out of the zone when you get much over 100yds (at 100 its 2" FV).

Trajectory is less of a worry if you have accurate ranging facilities and good tested data, selected ammo etc. i supose with perfect conditions it might well be possible to get first round chest hits on bunnies out to 300yds (maybee a lot further) and the energy to kill will certainly be on tap when the slug arrives - though consider time of flight might mean your quarry has moved a fair bit from the time your bullet left the case. Not for me then i will stick to up to 100yds on the right day and considerably less at other times. It aint that hard to get within 100yds of them at the end of the day